Soup from Leftover Scraps
Save all your vegetable peelings and ends, along with meat bones, in the freezer. When you have enough, make a broth that can be enjoyed as is, or as a base for other soups. I used the Instant Pot soup setting, which is 30 minutes after coming to pressure. If you are making it on the stovetop, allow a couple of hours.
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 5-6 quarts
- 1 gal sized freezer bag of vegetable ends and peelings
- meat bones (omit for vegetarian)
- water to cover
- Put the contents of the bag in the soup pot or Instant Pot liner. Add water to barely cover. Add salt if using.
- Cover Instant Pot, seal and cook on Soup setting. If cooking on stove, simmer a couple of hours.
- Remove all bones and vegetables with a slotted spoon.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Use as is, or add rice, noodles and/or additional vegetables.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!