Making a Bar of Soap from Soap Scraps

Category Soap
Leftover scraps of soap can be remolded into a new bar helping you to get more uses for your money. This is a guide about making a bar of soap from soap scraps.

How can I remold soap out of old soap scraps?

By Victor

Answers

Best Answer

My former mother-in-law showed me how when she would get a really thin piece of soap left from a bar, she would wet the new bar and the small piece, while in the tub or shower, and stick them together firmly, then while still in the tub or shower, smooth the edges down all the way around the small piece of soap. You didn't get a new bar that way, but the small piece didn't go to waste either.

Best Answer

When I have a lot of soap scraps saved up, I grate them on a coarse grater into a bowl. Then I add just enough water or liquid soap to make it stick together like clay. Once you have done this you take a handful of it and form it into one or more bars of soap. I make mine an oval shape. Let it dry a few days and then it is ready to use.

Best Answer

Grate or cut the soap into small pieces and place in a microwaveable bowl about 3 times larger than the amount of soap. Add vegetable oil (abt 1 T to 1 cup of soap pieces). Sometimes I add cinnamon (about 2 t, other spices can be added such as basil, chopped bay leaf, etc.), oatmeal (about 2 T per cup) or cornmeal for texture, aroma, and to act as natural scrub.

Add about 1/4 water. Heat in 1 minute increments at 50% power (the soap expands and you don't want to make a mess in the microwave). Stir. Repeat until the soap is soft. Sometimes I leave coarse bits of soap in the mixture to act as scrub. If you accidentlly use too much water, add more liquid to create a liquid soap, or add more oatmeal for a more density.

For soap bars or balls, the mixture needs to be the consistency of playdough. Dump the soap onto wax paper and mold. Pull the wax paper off the top of the soap Let sit a couple of hours, then turn the soap over so the bottom can dry out. It should be ready to use the next day. Soap balls will take longer to cure.

What is the easiest way to make a new bar of soap from all of my old soap scraps?

Tom from Homosassa, FL

Answers:

Making a Bar of Soap from Soap Scraps

I'd chop them all up just using a big chefs knife on a cutting board, then put them in a piece of fabric - just a cotton scrap. Then soak it in hot water for a minute and when you take it out, press it all together. Set it aside and let it dry. Once it's dry, just take the cloth off and you have a new bar. Of course, you could do this without chopping them up first - just mush them together in the cloth and hope they stay put. (03/12/2007)

By CarlaJS

Making a Bar of Soap from Soap Scraps

Save up 11 ounces, making sure they are dry. Use your grater to grate them up. Put them in a sauce pan with 8 ounces of water and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. They should blend together like a smooth pudding. Pour into molds. Our daughter uses the bottom parts of water bottles to make a cute, flower-shaped one, or use any flexible plastic mold. This should make about 3-4 medium-sized bars.

After they are set up, pop the bars out of the molds. If they don't come out easily, stick them in the freezer for 4 hours or overnight, or until they feel dry when you touch them. Then they will pop out easily. Air dry them without their touching each other for 2-3 days. As Mammy Yokum would say, "Abber Ka Dabber." (03/13/2007)

By coreenhart

Making a Bar of Soap from Soap Scraps

I have an apothecary jar with the rubber seal lid that I drop leftover soaps in with water and they melt and become creamy. Then add mouthwash to it if the slivers aren't antibacterial so it will kill germs, and it will thin out enough to add to a pump bottle for use :) (03/13/2007)

By melody_yesterday

Making a Bar of Soap from Soap Scraps

I found the best way is to chop up and use a little water and form a new bar or any shape you want, but you must let dry or it will melt when you go to use it. (03/13/2007)

By denise warner

Making a Bar of Soap from Soap Scraps

Great info! Thanks! (11/09/2007)

By nancy

Making a Bar of Soap from Soap Scraps

Here's a really lazy way: find a pair of old clean knee-high hosiery; slip one inside of the other; drop in the old soap slivers; use to lather up a washcloth as you would a bar of soap. Hang in shower to drip dry. They also tend to "congeal" together after a few uses. (06/03/2008)

By CarolCoe

How can you make soap from old soap and soap left overs from soap carving?

By Peter from Loscoe, Heanor, Derbyshire

Answers:

Making a Bar of Soap from Soap Scraps

Grate all of the soap leftovers. Slowly start adding small amounts of water until the mixture can be mixed into something very similar to sticky Play Doh. I haven't tried it, but have read that at this point you can add one drop at a time of essential oil until you get the desired scent. When you reach sticky Play Doh consistency, form the soap into balls by rolling the desired amount between your hands or press into a cookie scoop. Set on a cookie rack to dry. If no cookie rack is available, put on wax paper and turn at least once a day until dry. (08/11/2010)

By Skyfire

How do you melt down and remold bars of soap?

By Vida from Amarillo, TX

How do I make a new bar of soap from left-overs?

By bennachie from Scotland

Answers:

Making a Bar of Soap from Soap Scraps

thriftyfun.com (09/22/2009)

By MCW

Making a Bar of Soap from Soap Scraps

Basically you grate the old soap, melt, blend, and pour into something which will make a mold. If the soaps are different colors or degrees of dryness, the finer the grating, the better the result.

Or you can grate, put in an old plastic container, put 1/4 cup water for small amount, 1/2 cup water for more, put on lid and let slowly melt over a few weeks in a cupboard. When it's a gooey mess, heat slowly in a stainless pot, or glass bowl in microwave in 20 second bursts on maybe 40 percent power. Stir until it all looks the same, use a spatula to scrape into your "mold" and let dry for few days until it pops out easily. Stand on side somewhere out of way and let get really dry and hard.

Sounds like a pain, but it's good practice if you ever want to double process home made soap. Directions for different methods are on the web. If you double process soap, and let it dry for about 2 months it lasts so long you wouldn't believe it. Really. (09/23/2009)

By PIKKA