Starting Tomato Plants in Coffee Cans

Category Growing Food
Giving young tomato plants a start following this method is easy and allows you to move them into the garden with little stress. This is a guide about starting tomatoes in coffee cans.

When starting tomato plants, I cut the bottom off of an empty Folger's coffee can. Then I poke some drain holes in the lid, put the lid on, and turn the can upside down. I fill the new pot with soil and plant my tomatoes. When they are ready to go into the garden I just take the lid off the bottom and the plant slides right out.

What a great and functional idea! Thanks for sharing!

I can't thank you enough for giving me another use for my empty Folgers coffee cans. I have made bird feeders, bird houses, planters and container for raffle tickets.

Perfect! I guess this would work with any reasonably big, straight sided tin or plastic jar. Cut the bottom off and if it doesn't fit under the pot, just put pot on a tray and when the time comes to plant out , slide a fish slice under it to slip it into the hole. Magic! Double thumbs up if I could.

Marg from England.