CrochetCrafts

Stiffening a Large Crocheted Wall Hanging

I have crocheted a large piece for our VFW post. I need to stiffen it in order to hang on the wall. Can anyone help me?

Best Answer

Neat!! Stiffening it may ruin it (and it tends to attract bugs too) so you can do what my mother in law did for a hanging she made, where she has where she strung it between two pretty brass curtain rods to keep it flat. Now hers was a quilt, but it should work. It does require careful measuring to get it to the right tautness.

If it is too flimsy to do it that way, you can mount using Velcro to a large piece of correlated poster board and hang it that way. That way, if you ever decide to give it a new life off the way, you can just pick off the Velcro and go!

Such a neat idea!! Thanks for sharing!

Best Answer

I would not recommend using anything on your piece as it can only do harm over a period of time and bugs dearly love all of that stuff.

You may have to put a backing on it (be sure to tack it in lots of places or use basting to attach it to the backing) so you can attach it to a 1x1 or any size frame at the top.

Attach the frame to the wall or wherever you had planned.
The backing will hold your piece in shape and not harm it.
You can also do the same at the bottom if necessary but not attach it to the wall. This may be necessary to help it retain its shape over time.

Best Answer

I would recommend acquiring a large sheet of plexiglass, actually 2, and putting the piece between the plexiglass

you could of course use regular glass and that would actually look much nicer but we all know glass is a menace

You can soak it in starch. You could also nail it to a piece of wood.