Storing and Organizing Rubber Stamps

Category Crafts
Keeping your stamps easy to find when doing a project is helpful. This guide is about storing and organizing rubber stamps.

Here is what helps me keep my stamps organized. I found these old wooden boxes (50 cents at the thrift shop), with a lid attached. As I filled each box, I would stamp the image onto a plain white piece of paper, which I also found at the thrift shop. This was my directory to help me find my stamps easier. I placed the paper inside a page protector (again from the thrift shop) to protect the paper.

Now whenever I add a new stamp, I just stamp the image and place the stamp in the box. I can now find the stamp easier and place the stamp back in it's original spot.

By Jetruth from Waterloo, IA

I always think out of the box when it comes to creative storage. I purchased a diaper changing table as soon as I saw the top drawer. It's perfect to store my rubber stamps! The drawers underneath will hold all my supplies for card making and memory albums. It is in my living room but no one would suspect what's inside.

How do you store your stamps and stamping supplies?

J.W. from MN

Answers

It depends on how much you have. My sister uses plastic totes and stores them in a storage room. The ones she uses most are in a beautiful wooden corner cupboard that she bought and stenciled on. You can even use some supplies like cool stamps as decorations on a shelf or ledge. The shelves with baskets are very pretty, but you might want to make vinyl liners out of tablecloths or you can buy tablecloth material by the yard.

I bought a plasticware cupcake carrier at Walmart. It works great.

Thank you for your responses. I am a SU demonstrator and I have lots and lots of stamping & scrapbooking supplies. When I store them in plastic bins I have about 7 bins full and that is only the stamps. I always work at my diningrm table so my diningrm has been my craft room for the last 5+ yrs. No kids at home & 5 grandkids. We only use the dinirm table 2 times a yr: Christmas & Thanksgiving. I have decided that my built-in 7 ft wall hutch is perfect for my stamps and stamping & scrapbooking magazines. The bins in the diningrm are now gone! Sure looks better!

I use large plastic zipper bags. You put a piece of cardbord to fit in the bag and then lay your stamps on top of it, stamp sidedown; image up. Most fit snugly together and you can tote them wherever. You can use different bag sizes to fit the different sizes of stamps and you can store them by category or type. I put the stamp pads in a plastic see through shoe box.

I've also used the bottom of case goods (colas, cat food, etc) they are stury and fit a lot!

Depending on where you are storing them, buy boxes that you like and fit your shelves. Then inside these boxes, you can use layers of shoebox lids to store stamps. Then you just open your box and take out the lids that have become trays for stamps. You can separate the trays of stamps based on occasion, theme or however you like. Look on stamping retail sites for ideas on categories that work for you. And remember, store your ink pads upside down! It keeps the ink fresher.

I use boxes for scrap booking paper. I have a butterfly box for birds and butterfly stamps, seasonal boxes for holiday stamps, and a long drawer for the stamps I use relatively often. It helps me keep organized and I don't even have to read labels!

What is the best way to store rubber stamps? Tips for storing rubber stamps used in craft projects as submitted by the ThriftyFun community.

Box Picture Frames

Try acrylic box type picture frames. They can be bought just about anywhere. You can stack them and label them by subject. They work great.

By Mary

File In Ziplock Bags

The best storage advice I have EVER heard came from an episode of Carol Duvall. She showed gallon sized ziplock bags with stamps laying flat in them to fill the bag. Then stand the bag up in an appropriate size box. When you need a stamp, you go to that box and flip through the ziplock bags (like leafing through a file cabinet) till you find the one that contains the stamp you need. Hope you can use this idea!

By GrammySheila

Drawer Cabinet

I store mine in a wheeled drawer cabinet. I first sort into small boxes and keep like stamps together. For example: I have a Christmas WORD box, flowers, get well, etc (I use checkbook boxes). I also write on the wood the name of the stamp for quicker identification. Always clean your stamps (I use a baby wipe) before putting back into storage. Happy stamping!

By Diana

Keep Away From Cardboard

Avoid storing them in contact with cardboard, it will cause the rubber to dry out more rapidly and reduce the life of your stamps. Plastic baskets, plastic shoe boxes, and plastic silverware organizers are good for using in drawers to protect your stamps. You can also use a tackle box, the depth of the drawers is ideal for most stamps, and you can remove dividers by scoring them with a blade to make more wide open drawers.

By QueenBeeCrafts

Post your own ideas below!

Answers

I just have mine in a big plastic bag along with the stamp pads....

My mother stores her rubber stamps in plastic boxes with lids. She lines the bottom with parchment paper, places stamps inside,then another layer of the paper, then more stamps,until the box is amost fll. Then she just puts the lid on and lables the box.

For the real small stamps I use the hanging bag with small pockets that you buy to store jewelry in; usually pins and broaches. Perfect solution, you can see each one.