Summer Driving Tips

Category Driving Tips
Woman Driving in Summer
Although the road conditions and visibility are usually good, there are other things to keep in mind when driving in the summer. This guide contains summer driving tips.

Our bedroom gets bright sun, and here in Southeast Georgia, it can reach the mid-80s in there, even with the A/C wide open. So I came up with an idea that lowered the temperature in there 20 degrees or more, depending on the amount of clouds.

I went to the dollar store and bought some of those shiny silver windshield sun blockers that you unfold and place in your windshield to keep your car from blistering. I cut them to size to fit snugly inside the window frame,with the shiny side out, then cut an old white piece of fabric to cover the front of them, so the shiny part couldn't be seen from the outside of the house. Then I duct taped them to the metal on the inside window frame, so no heat could get around the edges.

After I hung my blinds and curtains back up, the windshield blockers are invisible. From the outside, it looks as if I have a white window shade, not tacky at all. And inside, I am chillin' !

By Gloria from Darien, GA

Just for the record, they make a thin plastic window glass cover. It is inexpensive. It lets light in, and you can see out but it reflects the sun. Your windows will feel cool to the touch. It looks like a mirror from the outside but like a window from the inside. I think that would be cheaper than the windshield covers especially for a patio door or double window.

The windshield covers were 3.00,and I was able to keep from having that "mirror" look,so it looks nice from the outside.The windshield covers also have a thin layer of foam insulation built into them,so that helps, too.

I think that is a neat idea! I was thinking of Tinting my windows like someone else said above and I wonder if it would be just as cool or would it lose something.

For less than ten dollars you can buy a roll of window shield. It protects your windows from heat and still lets air in. It isn't tacky looking like a blanket and you don't have to cut and whack on something that blocks your light. I really believe in all instances when an item is needed, it makes sense to see if what you want is available for that purpose before you go to great lengths to use something else.