Sweet and Sour Fish and Onion Rings
During our Holy Week of each year our family has practiced a week without meat in every meal we prepare. So here's one recipe I would like to introduce to you.
- 6 pieces frying fish
- 1 large white onion (sliced into rings)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cup cooking oil (for frying)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small piece ginger (sliced into strips)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 portion of white onion rings, unbreaded
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water (approx.)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks in syrup (optional)
- While frying the fish, start preparing the onion rings.
- Dip each ring in egg. Then coat with flour. Leave some rings unbreaded for the sauce.
- Dip back to the egg and coat with bread crumbs.
- Deep fry the rings and set aside.
- Saute garlic, onions, and ginger.
- Dissolve sugar in a mixture of vinegar and soy sauce, pour in pan and simmer.
- Add in ketchup, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add approximately 1/2 cup of water along with pineapple syrup and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat from medium to low and garnish sauce with unbreaded onion rings.
- Drop the fish pieces to absorb the sauce then remove and set aside.
- To serve first pour the sauce, then add the fish and onion rings. Drizzle again with remaining sauce.
- Lastly, add in the pineapple chunks, and serve!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!