TV Streaming Services Nearly as Expensive as Cable

Thanks to the many "subscription streaming" services, I gave up expensive cable packages long ago, but I now find that I have half a dozen various streaming services Netflix, PBS Passport, CBS, Acorn, etc., and I find myself paying nearly as much as the cable packages used to charge.

In the spirit of ThriftyFun frugality, has anyone figured out the best way to maximize viewing streamed content (e.g. which services offer largest selection, etc.) without going crazy or broke?

I have heard good things about the Roku. Some people add Netflix, and some are happy with it alone. I would drop cable altogether, but my husband watches TV all day long and we even pay extra for sports

What I want to do, and I think the only way to go is to dump all services and just watch what you want to watch after the fact through YouTube or the network websites. If it were just me, that is the only way to go. Better yet, it would save money and I would probably read more or talk to friends more because there would be no distractions.

I am, however, outvoted and we have a very basic Dish satellite. I hate it, but sports rule for my hubby and he wants to watch the games live, as well as a few shows he likes to watch when they air.

Going to a bar to watch sports was too costly, and no public place runs TV's with sitcoms, so we pared it down to his sports channels, local news and a few other odd stations.

If you find something better, share please!! It was so much easier when it was just radio, then just 3 networks and an antenna!!!

i am perfectly content with just Youtube and Netflix (whcih I pay $0 because am part of my mum's family plan) and I get Amazon prime for the PRime membership and if by any chance i find a show they're showing on a specific other thing (like Acorn) I will sign up the trial membership and pay a couple months extra, binge watch, then cancel the service

in the end it's about figureing out who's showing what you want to watch

i tend to also just pay $3 every now and again if they're showing something I want on YouTube or Amazon - usually it's older movies that are streaming for a fee

My brother has a system where he only pays for one of the streaming services at a time. If he is interested in a series that is on Hulu, for example, he will turn off Netflix while he has the Hulu subscription and will binge watch everything available. Of course, this is difficult for watching network programming but he can always watch shows on YouTube or on his computer the next day. It seems to work for him.

We currently have cable but I would like to dump it as soon as our contract is up. Sports are always the problem. My husband loves to watch soccer and it can be difficult to stream it unless you have the right package. But more options are available every year so I'm hopeful that we will be able to work something out.