Teaching a Child to Be Thoughtful

The other day while babysitting my Grandson told me his friend across the street had the day before had a birthmark removed so she couldn't come out and play. I suggested he get out construction paper and make her a card and take it to her. Certainly this was no life changing experience, but the seed was planted. We live in a pretty unthankful society.

Have you ever noticed how many gifts you've given without a note of thanks ever being sent. I'm not suggesting that we quit giving, but we can make a difference by teaching our own children to write thank you notes and send cards at a young age. Let them make little gifts and crafts for others.

On Mother's day we made his mom some scented bath salts and a card. They don't realize until we show by example that doing for others adds joy to our own lives. Another way to encourage a child is to allot just a small amount of spending money and take them to dollar stores on special holidays, letting them choose a gift for someone special. Sometimes we get caught up in our own gift giving and forget that they want to be givers too.

My children are grown now and I hope that thoughtfulness is one lesson I have taught them well. Plant the seed early in life and watch it grow!

By Sharon, KY

Parenting General Parenting AdviceMay 1, 2012
🍀
🌻
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Teaching-a-Child-to-Be-Thoughtful-1.html