Teaching a Phone Number to a Child

When my daughters were as young as 4 and 5 years old, I wanted them to learn their phone number and remember it. What worked great was to teach them the seven digit string to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was like learning a song and they remembered it after only a few repetitions.

This is an excellent idea. Children always learn the alphabet first by singing it; so much easier than straight memorywork without the tune. Accesses the right hand side of the brain, I think.

I have them repeat the first 3 digits over and over all day then the next day they sing 6 of the digits the next and then all 10. Until they remember it.