Tips For Getting Rid of Aphids

There are insecticidal soaps on the market, however, I normally just take a small spray bottle with tepid water and a few drops of a mild detergent soap. It is much less expensive and I particularly like the "green" detergent soaps.

Controlling aphids takes spraying the leaves (both top and bottom) and also I spray the top of the soil. I do this every day (sometimes twice a day if the infestation is severe) for at least 3 to 5 days. It is important to keep checking the plant every day or two, since there may be a new hatch of aphids.

For plants that are outdoors having lady beetles is one of the best solutions. The lady beetle larvae just love to munch on the aphids.

As a side note, if you notice ants on a plant that has aphids you will find that the ants are actually "herding" the aphids. They love the sweet nectar that the aphids produce and they keep and protect the aphids as we would do with cattle, sheep, or goats. I mentioned this to a friend at our office who had ants and aphids on a plant and at first he thought I had totally lost my mind when I said the ants were herding their aphids. After I explained the relationship between the two, he seemed to understand and didn't question my sanity.

By Lilly M from NW MI

Will this solution help get rid of the ants aslo?

My garden center recommends insecticidal soap. They say regular soap kills the plant.

🌻
📓
🐛