Tips for Avoiding Gossip

Category Saving Time
A woman talking on the phone.
Besides wasting time, talk of other people can convey information that is often exaggerated and none of your business. This guide contains tips to avoid gossip.

Gossip anyone? I always keep a timer in my pocket when I'm at home. When my friends call with the intention to gossip, I just ring the timer in my pocket and apologize that I must hang up to check the food in my oven. I also ring my doorbell and pretend to welcome somebody warmly, then excuse myself for having to hang up to welcome my "fabricated" guest.

By Mae from Washington, DC

I TELL THEM OOPS GOTTA GO SOMEONE IS ON MY OTHER LINE

These sound like good ideas. I have been on the receiving end of this tho lately and could tell it was a fabricated story. My mother has had surgery so I've been calling her a lot to check up on her. She says she has to go to the bathroom to get off the phone. I laugh to myself because I know she's just tired of talking. I rarely talk on the phone anymore since I email so much. I don't have any friends that call to gossip!

Your secret is out now. I do have this situation with two dear, dear friends, and my doggie is the answer. When she stands in front of the door, I have to end our conversation (it's not really gossip) since I don't have a cordless or cell phone.

If you have all waiting you can get sneakier & hit a button on the phone for a tone & say you have another call coming in that you have been from some VIP you have been waiting to hear from!