Tires for Raised Beds

Use old tires painted and stacked two deep for raised beds.

By Wakaliz

Answers:

Tires for Raised Beds

tyres can be used quite successfully. It has been said that tyres leach cadmium, not sure about the amounts or which foods are most affected. I have used tyres for potatoes for the last 5 years or so. I find them good from the point of view that I always know where the plants are and also for late crops when it is possible to protect the potatoes from the frosts, to a degree anyway.

Not so good in the heat of summer as they dry out very quickly and crops such as potatoes can cook during very hot weather. We are just using some tyres to create steps/ somewhere to put stones and clay and will try planting heat loving herbs such as thyme into the tyres. Hopefully it will work well. I also find that we get a good gathering of snails inside the rim of the tyre. (07/08/2005)

By