Inexpensive Raised Bed Ideas

There are many thrifty, creative ways to use natural or recycled materials to make raised garden beds. This is a guide about inexpensive raised beds.

I'd like to see some pictures of various raised veggie garden beds you have made from recycled wood or other recycled items. The ones I see in books and on line aren't recycled items (but rather made of recycled materials).

What I have made works, but is rather "ugly". I don't want to buy the beds, or buy the materials, but am hoping to repurpose items already here on the farm, trying to be thrifty!

So, I am hoping some of you can give me some good ideas! I plan on going 100% raised bed gardening this year for my veggies.

By mom-from-missouri from NW MO

Answers

Best Answer

If you live in cattle country you may be able to get cattle waterers from farmers or feedlot owners. They can't use them once they have a hole, but they will hold dirt. You could raise them by putting them on 2x4's or whatever wood you have , to make them higher.

Best Answer

strawbalegardens.com/
I don't know if this would be what you're looking for, but it's a great idea.

I am looking to find some free or inexpensive wood to build a raised garden. Other than Home Depot or Lowe's, any ideas where I can find this?

By deno from Mesa, AZ

Answers:

Inexpensive Raised Beds

Look around your town. People throw away wood and all kinds of stuff. Check out lumber outlets - used lumber is sold cheap. I have a wood rail that I am using for a seat in my garden. The neighbor gave it to me, and some long steel that I will use on my garden wall. Good luck. (03/24/2010)

By Isabel Ruiz

Inexpensive Raised Beds

freecyle.org. Join a community near you and then offer a small item and then ask for the lumber. You will probably get several offers. (03/24/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Inexpensive Raised Beds

Another way you can cut down on costs is to go to car dealerships or auto repair stores and ask for their old used tires. most will give you tires for free, and they hold a lot of dirt. You can stack them if you want to plant potatoes, or if you simply don't want to bend over and have enough dirt or stone to fill up the bottom tires. Most used tires have been exposed to air long enough to oxidize, so you won't have to worry about chemicals leeching into the soil. (03/24/2010)

By Krystal

Inexpensive Raised Beds

I used cement blocks to make my raised bed garden. You do not need to remove the grass. It will last a life time, put down plastic or several layers of news papers then put the blocks around it on the edges of the plastic to hold it down and to keep the grass from growing in the garden, fill with composted manure. Sprinkle some 10-10-10-fertilizer on it, water it then you are ready to plant your garden and have veggies growing all the time, good luck. (03/24/2010)

By kathleen williams

Inexpensive Raised Beds

Many communities have sources for reusable building supplies. Our local source is called ReSource. Check with waste management companies and town or county government. (03/25/2010)

By Wyncia

Inexpensive Raised Beds

One year a neighbor had tons of wooden pallets from his work. It didn't take much to take out inside wood and had perfect size squares to put many kinds of veges in. (03/25/2010)

By Peggy

Inexpensive Raised Beds

I just read about haybale gardening! Try this link: thegardenersrake.com/hay-bale-gardeneing-techniques (may have to cut and paste to your browser) or just Google haybale gardening! (03/26/2010)

By Teri Van Hecke

Inexpensive Raised Beds

I used old fence boards. Just find a contractor that puts up privacy fences and pick up their scrap wood. That and a couple of 2x4's for the corners and bottom to hold everything together. The beauty of it is the are already treated to withstand the weather. You can line the box with weed barrier cloth stapled to the sides and bottom to keep the soil in. Hope this helps. Good luck. (08/26/2010)

By rach

Here's a compact raised bed with rich soil that has been "built" over 8 years of composting. The bed is made of pine logs felled for fire protection. The frame holds wire to keep the deer out. The gardener is celebrating the lovely soil that has been developed. The hat is a rhubarb leaf.

By Wyncia from Boulder, CO

Answers:

Inexpensive Raised Beds

I think I will try that in my yard. I am recycling everything in my garden this year, margarine bowls, felled branches, large rocks painted white, but I might change it to Red, White, and Blue; seeds from tomatoes and watermelons and etc. When I go to restaurants I keep the seeds and plant them later. I recycled venetian blinds for plant markers. Thanks for the tip. (06/18/2009)

By Robyn Fed

I am planning on making some raised beds in my garden this summer. Does anyone have any tips or can anyone point me in the direction of some plans to do this inexpensively?