Transferring an Autograph to a Shoe

Category Clothing
child getting soccer player's autograph
A unique way of displaying an important autograph would be to transfer it to a piece of clothing, such as a shoe, particularly if it is from an athlete. This is a guide about transferring an autograph to a shoe.

I have an autograph of John Lennon's, which came as part of an autograph book I purchased fifteen years ago. It's not the best Lennon, but a local store tells me it's likely "real". Now, one of my favourite Beatles songs is, "Old Brown Shoe". Last week I found a very old (1930s) Brown leather shoe on my shoemaker's bench and got it for next to nothing.

What I would adore doing, is somehow lifting the autograph out of the blue page it's written on, and placing it on the "old brown shoe". Get it? But I've no clue how to attempt this without ruining the Lennon autograph. It is in blue ball-point ink from way back when he might have actually signed.

This would be a treasure to own! Any clues/ideas how I might transfer it to the boot? It is old, but not hard leather. Any ideas would be a blessing! Thanks a million!

If the signature is actually legit, why would you want to almost certainly destroy it? If it is definitely not real, then you can do whatever you like. Check EBay and other sites-some legit autographs may be worth $15K!!!

Although "a local store" told you it was possibly real, if you want to know for sure, you must find a specialist in autographs to authenticate the signature.

Transferring the signature will ruin it, since it is then a copy of the signature and not a legitimate signature.

1. Have it authenticated by a professional

2. Buy insurance on it if it is real. Keep it in a clear glass picture frame (no glue or tape on the back) and put it in a hallway or bedroom where NO sunlight hits it. Any natural light will fade it. Don't put it where moisture can get at it, either.

OR keep it where the professional tells you to. (But if you'll be tempted to pull it out and look at it, it must be enclosed in something solid.)

If it is real, be sure to purchase the insurance and update your will to include it.

Hi. Thanks for the very smart suggestions and offerings.

I've been in Entertainment Memorabilia (Primarily the Beatles) for a long time, buying/selling everything from slip of paper with one Bealle signing, to LPs with all four sigs, and even rarely hand-written lyrics. I've been fortunate to be able to do so, and am confident in my own ability to identify a forgery. If truly unsure I've someone who is globally known as "the" authenticator of the four signatures, as they evolved over the years, to be the last word.

Sorry to be so long in explanation. I'll attach a nice (genuine) piece just for fun (McCartney and his then girlfriend, Jane Asher).

So point is I do have several slips of Lennon's autograph, not one of my better pieces (signed quickly, but with deep Blue ball point), I can "afford" to dedicate to creating this "Old Brown Shoe" piece, purely for my own enjoyment. Knowing the signature is re-located, but STILL John's, would still be a kick for me.

So the question was how to remove the ink (ball point blue), and transfer, I assume by pressure, heat, or chemical (a combination?) to lift the Lennon cleanly off the paper, and press into the leather of the shoe. Thought that process might be known to someone here. Would be great if so!

Thanks for sage advice re care of autograph (acid-free paper/matting, UV protected, out of direct sun, etc.), appreciated!

Love to hear any/all ideas for ink transfer.

Ron.