Treating A Damaged Toenail

Category Home Remedies
Although our toe nails are strong and provide a measure of protection to our toes, they can be damaged in a variety of ways. This is a guide about treating a damaged toenail.

I smashed my toenail 2 years ago; it has grown back yellow, thick, and humpy not smooth. I file it to get rid of the hump and try oils, but nothing is working. Can anyone help? I want a normal toenail.

By Theresa from Akron, OH

Answers

Best Answer

Could you possibly have toenail fungus? It might have taken advantage of the injury somehow, to take hold. Your doctor could tell you if it is. You can also buy over-the-counter, paint-on products. They take a while (for as long as it takes the toenail to grow out), and you have to use it faithfully; but if it is toenail fungus, it can help, and certainly won't hurt! (There are also pills you can take, but they also take a long time, and I would not want to take a pill that will effect my whole body from the inside, when a topical might work.)

Look for images of toenails with fungus online, and see if they look like yours. What you describe sounds like it. My husband has used the topical several times through the years, with excellent results. Good luck!

Best Answer

I don't know about the discoloration, but the texture could be from a damaged nail bed. I knew a boy back in my school days, and his nails looked rough/scratched up on the tops (best way I know to describe it). He said a brick fell on his hand/fingers when he was younger, and ever since they grew out that way. A flashlight fell and hit one of my toes, and my toenail grows out with a funny ridge in it. And I think that once the nail bed is damaged, that's that. It's been a long time since I've read up on it, so I can be completely wrong!

But as others have pointed out, it could be something else. If it really bothers you so much, it can't hurt to ask your doctor about it. Best of luck!

Best Answer

I would go to see a Podiatrist.

Does anyone know a remedy for a toenail that has grown on top of itself? I had it tested and it's not infected just very thick from pushing against the top of sneaker from walking on the treadmill a lot!

Answers

Best Answer

It is difficult to provide answers as you have provided very little information. You need to see a podiatrist for the damaged nail as you may need debridement to help the nail return to a normal growth pattern.

The longer you wait, the worse the problem will become as the damaged nail continues to grow and cause problems.

Best Answer

The exact same thing happened to me from wearing tight shoes. It was only my big toe and the nail turned purple. My doctor checked it and said if it started to grow out normally in three months not to worry about it. If it got worse to come back. After a few months I saw a normal looking white nail coming out from the cuticle. It took about a year to fully grow out and the biggest problem was cutting that particular (big toe) nail because it was so thick. It is fine now. Just keep an eye on it.