Treating a Dog With Parvo

My dog has had parvo. He first showed signs 11 days ago and I thought he would die. I treated him at home with antibiotics and antisick meds. He got over the worst and I thought he would live. He had a teaspoon of chicken two days ago, but he has started vomiting again and won't eat anything. All meds have been given up his rear end so he doesn't sick them up. I stopped the antibiotics 2 days ago when he ate a teaspoon of food. Should I start them again? I can't understand why he is going downhill again.

Best Answer

It's just so hard to treat a dog with parvo. Maybe you should start antibiotics again.
Most dogs, with the kind of treatment you're giving, do survive. Some will not even with the best of care.
Be sure you're cleaning well, washing and disinfecting his blankets/towels frequently and not letting him "go" in the same place every time (poop or pee).

If you're concerned about your dog not taking in enough liquid, give him Pedialyte to replace electrolytes. Most dogs that die of parvo die of dehydration.
If your dog gets lethargic (won't move), has a seizure, won't take in liquids anymore or has a high temperature take him to the vet for emergency treatment, but be sure to tell the vet he has parvo. Crate him to minimize contact with other dogs. The vet may want you to use a side or back entrance. If so, do this for the safety of other animals.

I hope everything turns out all right.

Best Answer

Please resume the antibiotics immediately! Many people take antibiotics themselves or give to their children or pets but then stop "when the sick person or animal seems 'better'". The problem is that antibiotics must be continued to the end of the prescription even if there is some improvement. Although there may be improvement, the bacteria is still active so the medicine must be "used up" to kill off all the bacteria.

Antibiotics are designed to be given in specific doses over a specific period of time based on previous decades of research. Ideally, one dose could kill all bacteria, however, that one dose may also kill the patient. So, a reasonable dose over time will eventually work but it must be provided as prescribed to work.