Treating a Dog with Itchy Skin

My 2 year old Husky is itching all over and he is chewing hot spot-like areas in the places he can reach. He is also shaking his head often, as if there is something in his ears. There is no rash and no signs of fleas. He had a tick about 3 months ago, so we treated him with a squeeze on formula, 2 times now, on the back of his neck. And last but not least, he is shedding a lot more than normal. Unfortunatley I can't afford a vet right now, but I've tried Zyrtec, 1 a day and hot spot spray which both helped a little bit, however, he is starting to cry, I think because he's frustrated. I feel so helpless, and would appreciate advice.

There are several reasons why your Husky is having such a difficult time but most are treatable with home remedies. I would like to mention that you since he is shaking his head you should check for ear mites as these can be dangerous if not treated. Treatments for ear mites can be found in most larger pet stores (like Petsmart). Since you cannot take him to the vet you can try several remedies and try and find one that will treat the itching. I would also suggest looking for one of the products that are called "calming" solutions but just use when necessary. You may have to make some changes to his diet and also maybe add a fish oil supplement to his food.
Most vet sites recommend giving an Epson Salts bath but be very careful if there are open sores as this could be painful.

I have several sites listed that give more information and also very good home remedies but read thoroughly before starting any treatment.

I have heard that giving a dog whey helps skin conditions.