Treating a Dog's Dry Itchy Ears

My Westie has had ear problems in the past and still does, but not as bad! We are still treating them with what the vets have given us, but he has quite dry ears and I was wondering if there's anything I can put on the ears to keep them from cracking and getting dry? Something that doesn't irritate them?

It's hard to tell how to answer this question. You don't say what you are treating him with or what the vet thinks is wrong. You could accidentally do something to make it worse or make the medication not work.
What did the vet give you?

Use organic coconut oil, it's antibacterial and will sooth the irritated skin.

Antibiotics
Now very dry

Try olive oil. Use a cotton ball to apply. You don't need a lot of the oil. Just a little bit gently rubbed in will do.

I used the olive oil and it worked immediately! Thanks for the tip!

Would the olive oil work for the entire body for his dry skin ? What do you think he is constantly itching. No fleas he gets an oatmeal bath twice a week. That's not helping. We also changed dog food thinking allergies to something in the food.

So we found one that is gluten free and no colors or dies. No corn as well. But at this point nothing is helping our baby and he has itched most is his hair off and now has open wounds. Please help me if you can. Thank you Lisa

Best Answer

Hello,
My Cocker was having issues with dry flaky skin and scabs. I started rubbing coconut oil on the affected areas one a day or every other day, and the scabs went away.

Coconut Oil is the absolute BEST as it has natural healing things in it. I feed my Golden Retriever a teaspoon full twice a day. She loves it!! I've also warmed some up in the microwave to just a very low tepid temp..put some on a washcloth..and squirted some gently from the washcloth into her ear.

It must be very soothing as she just soo enjoys it!! The next day..no more shaking her head..no more rubbing her ears on the floor..amazing how well this works!!

My dog has scabs on the flap of her ears. Should she be tested for heart worm?

Anonymous

Im unsure what those signs are but if you are worried about your dog having heart worms get them tested immediately. Its very common for dogs and cats to have heartworms on reservations and in cities. Its a $40 test but the treatment cost varies with where you live. Our girl had heartworms. She is a small dog so the damage was large. She was left out behind a landfill, we found her and took her in when she was 4. She has undergone treatment and crate rest. She deserved better. If you don't already have your dog on a heartworm prevention, I recommend it to keep your dog safe. It was very tough finding out she had suffered not just from a bad previous owner but also from multiple organ tearing parasites. Get your dog tested. It is worth paying for a "snap test" to have the peace of mind knowing your animal is safe.

Coconut oil works real good for my boxer u can get a big bottle at Costco a big bottle is only 10 dollars it usually works after 2 treatment u massage it in their ears it works real good I live by that treatment with all my dogs it's all natural so won't hurt them

Anonymous

We have a cockerpoo, she doesn't have any problems w/ her ears. I make sure to dry them real well after baths & swimming.

When she does get itchy ears, we sniff for bad odors & feel if they're too warm. Otherwise we use Gentian Violet, it works great. It's available @ your pharmacy.