HealthDogs

Treating a Dog's Oily Smelly Skin and Hair Loss

I have this 2 1/2 year old male German Shepherd. Today I noticed that he had oily smelly skin. I tried cleaning it off with some baby wipes, however I noticed that he had a big patch of missing hair; you could see his skin. I tried cleaning the area with shampoo to get rid of the smell, however I am worried that this might be an infection. Does anyone know if it is canine seborrhea and how to treat it?

I would suggest a Visit to the vet. It could be a fungus

You could have mites or an infection. A visit to the vet is in order.

You will have to find the underlying reason for the condition or it will not go away. Your vet will have to run tests and these can be expensive. Hopefully you have a pet clinic in your area that has reasonable rates for this kind of condition.
Here are a couple of links that explain which dogs are most susceptible (always German Shepherds) and what you can do at home but mostly stating that a vet visit is necessary.

www.petwave.com/.../Symptoms.aspx

www.petmd.com/.../c_dg_canine_seborrhea