Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

I have five large windows close together in my living room, and love to change my decor often. However getting curtains for all five can cost a bundle! I found that "Shower Curtains" go on sale quite often, and some styles are just stunning! You can use one curtain to cover two windows, and they still go on with the regular curtain rings (plain or fancy). If you try it just once, you'll be hooked! Using one shower curtain per window will give you a very plush look.

By Darlene from Lynn, MA

Answers:

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

I am thinking about using a shower curtain in place of my sliding closet doors. I can't stand it that I can only view one side of the closet at a time with the doors and the "curtains" will be much prettier. (10/12/2009)

By Renee

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

Second the motion for this idea. I have done this for years. There are three windows in my living room, a double and a single. Three curtains do a good job. My current ones are a green/yellow/brown paisley print which coordinates well with the green carpet and brown couch. Best of all, they were only $5.99 a panel. (10/13/2009)

By jean leiner

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

A wonderful idea! IKEA has some lovely shower curtains and they are very reasonably priced. Actually they are borderline cheap. (10/13/2009)

By Marty Dick

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

My family has done this since the late 80s, and there are pluses to doing it too. Shower curtains help block a lot of the heat/light from sunlight so your rooms may feel cooler, and if you forget and leave your windows open and rain blows in, they act as a protective barrier against the water. Regular curtains would just soak it up. (10/13/2009)

By Jarron

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

I just did this. I couldn't find curtains I liked that were also reasonably priced. So I took shower curtains, cut them and rehemmed the sides to make panels. Beautiful! (10/14/2009)

By Beth

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

I agree! I have used one on west windows as a sort of "heat shield", (especially wonderful in TV room with picture window! Mine came from Dollar General for $5 each and I love the solid colored clear ones the best so I can see out. I also like using regular curtains to the side so I can close them at night. Ignore the foreground of the picture and look in the background where my use of shower curtains at the window got in the cam view!
(10/14/2009)

By melody_yesterday