Use Shower Curtains for Drapes

Category Curtains
Decorative shower curtains can often be purchased much more cheaply than drapes. This choice for window coverings allows you to change your "drapes" more frequently. This is a guide about using shower curtains for drapes.

I use some of the pretty shower curtains on my windows as my curtains. I have a white lacy type on the bathroom window and looks great. Long ago when I got my first home, we used a nice double layered shower curtain in my dining room. The material ones work best. In a pinch, it's a frugal idea until you find the curtains you like or want.

Source: My mom

By Donna from Foymount, Ontario

Top Comment

Shower curtains for porch windows.
Shower curtains were quick, easy and inexpensive for my porch. I have 12 windows in my enclosed porch. We installed white 1 inch and 1/4 round wooden curtain rods and used the white plastic round curtain hooks. Once up they do not look like plastic curtain hooks and match the rods nicely. The finish on the fabric shower curtains is what I wanted. This type of fabric is not only great if we forget to close the windows if it rains but it also seems to repel dust better than a cotton type fabric would.

I went with the soft white color since the interior and cathedral ceiling and beams are shades of white. The shower curtains are easily opened to let in the light or closed to filter the sunlight. Each curtain was purchased at Wal-Mart for $10 each x 12 is quite a savings. the size was a perfect fit for the double hung windows. It also creates a summer sort of nautical look. Very easy care.

I have discovered that shower curtains can make great window drapery. Not the plastic liner stuff but the nylon fabric. You just hang your shower curtains on a rod with the shower curtain rings. There are some really nice patterns out there. Sheets also work well.

By Stephen from Clovis, NM

Answers:

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

There are 3 windows in my livingroom, a single and a double. I was looking for some floral print curtains in a gold/green/maroon print, and having no luck until I found shower curtains in such a print with an attached valance with gold tassels. Perfect. I bought gold cord tiebacks with matching tassels, and they look very nice. I cut 1 panel in half and sewed the side seam for the single window, and used the other 2 panels for the double. Best of all, they were $8.00 a panel, with tie backs at 4/$4.oo each. (03/18/2008)

By jean

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

I love this idea, and I am going on a hunt for me some new shower curtain, curtains. I never thought of this idea and it sounds great. I can't wait to try it. Wish me luck. Thanks for sharing.
(03/18/2008)

By Teresa

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

I used the shower curtain idea for my doorways. When we moved into our home, 10 interior doors were not on yet. So we used the shower curtains to give some privacy in the rooms until, one by one, we bought doors. Our dog enjoyed walking under them each night to do her regular bedcheck. Ha ha.(03/22/2008)

By Sheila

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

EGG-actly right. I love mine. I usually get silver extendable shower-rods, and silver curtain rings. In fact, I do have a plastic burgundy shower liner behind my navy blue curtain, and when the sun shines, it casts beautiful colors. (04/10/2009)

By Derryl

I have five large windows close together in my living room, and love to change my decor often. However getting curtains for all five can cost a bundle! I found that "Shower Curtains" go on sale quite often, and some styles are just stunning! You can use one curtain to cover two windows, and they still go on with the regular curtain rings (plain or fancy). If you try it just once, you'll be hooked! Using one shower curtain per window will give you a very plush look.

By Darlene from Lynn, MA

Answers:

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

I am thinking about using a shower curtain in place of my sliding closet doors. I can't stand it that I can only view one side of the closet at a time with the doors and the "curtains" will be much prettier. (10/12/2009)

By Renee

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

Second the motion for this idea. I have done this for years. There are three windows in my living room, a double and a single. Three curtains do a good job. My current ones are a green/yellow/brown paisley print which coordinates well with the green carpet and brown couch. Best of all, they were only $5.99 a panel. (10/13/2009)

By jean leiner

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

A wonderful idea! IKEA has some lovely shower curtains and they are very reasonably priced. Actually they are borderline cheap. (10/13/2009)

By Marty Dick

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

My family has done this since the late 80s, and there are pluses to doing it too. Shower curtains help block a lot of the heat/light from sunlight so your rooms may feel cooler, and if you forget and leave your windows open and rain blows in, they act as a protective barrier against the water. Regular curtains would just soak it up. (10/13/2009)

By Jarron

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

I just did this. I couldn't find curtains I liked that were also reasonably priced. So I took shower curtains, cut them and rehemmed the sides to make panels. Beautiful! (10/14/2009)

By Beth

Use Shower Curtains for Drapery

I agree! I have used one on west windows as a sort of "heat shield", (especially wonderful in TV room with picture window! Mine came from Dollar General for $5 each and I love the solid colored clear ones the best so I can see out. I also like using regular curtains to the side so I can close them at night. Ignore the foreground of the picture and look in the background where my use of shower curtains at the window got in the cam view!
(10/14/2009)

By melody_yesterday