ToolsHair Tips

Use a Wide Toothed Comb Instead of a Brush

I switched over from a paddle brush to a wide tooth/detangling comb several years ago. I can see a big difference, because when I used a paddle brush, I would see tons of hairs stuck between the bristles.

With the wide tooth comb, there is significantly less pulling on your hair, resulting in less hair loss. Attached is an example of when I combed my hair after my shower today and only had two strands lost! Plus using a wide toothed comb is more gentle on your scalp, detangles hair, prevents hair breakage, and reduces spilt ends. They are very inexpensive, ranging from $3 to $5 depending on where you purchase one.

I've also switched from a brush to a wide toothed comb after I shampoo my hair. I feared I was losing my hair; but since I'm no longer using the brush, I have only a couple of hairs in the comb. And I think I'm regrowing hair - very slowly but surely.

Yes, I see a big improvement also. I am still trying to find remedies for hair loss though since my hair is thinning quite often but the switch helped!

My hair has always been fine and a little thin. For some reason it really started to grow in my early 60s. Most every night before I go to bed, I carefully finger comb the whole thing. Parts of it are down to my waist and tangles easily because it's fine. I can gently work tangles loose with my fingers without damage. When I wash it I use a very wide tooth comb. Before I put it up everyday I brush it with a soft boar bristle to distribute any oil that might be there. I'm a one legged woman these days and can shower far less than my once or twice a day that was the norm before. I really think that's why it's grown so much longer than ever before. I take a lot of sponge baths in my handicapped sink with my hair in a shower cap. It almost never looks like it needs shampooing these days. I put it up in a high or middle ponytail or bun and let it be. No split ends for 5 yrs now. Beats me why. It started to gray in my 30s and I loved it, salt and pepper. People now ask me if my hair was blond before it went gray. I have to laugh, it was one slight shade down from coal black! It's all fine by me as long as I still have some, so I'll keep finger combing it and let it fly.....

I am glad the finger combing is working for you! I am 3 years shy of 30! And I have always had fine and thin hair. My hair is thinning in the back but I think it runs in the family. I am trying to shower once every other day but my hair gets so oily! I do see a reduced hair loss with using a wider comb or I could get by with using my fingers too! :)