Using Canned Milk as Glue?

I am aware of the fact that canned evaporated milk, sticks like glue, because that was all my gran-ma used in the 1900s. And still does this day. In my teens, I've even used it, to stick together a few mugs and porcelain items, before mom found out, lol. And it's still together today. I am in my forties now.

My question is what makes it stick. Is it the sugar only? And if so, what type? I want use this, for my eleven year old's, science project.

By classy73

Best Answer

Actually, it is the protein in milk called casin that bounds to make a natural plastic that causes the seal.

Do you mean canned milk or sweetened condensed? I could see the second type working like glue, but the not the first type unless you boiled it until it thickened. Yes, I believe it would be the sugar that would make it stick like glue.

Casein is the glue product in milk. Google it, there is a ton of information.

It is the casin (protein) that makes the plastic like elastic, but the sugar is also a bonding agent....you how sugar is sticky! My mom also used carnation milk to fix things, thats what brought me here. Use it, it really works well.!

Crafts AdviceNovember 23, 2013
📓
🎃
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Canned-Milk-as-Glue.html