Using Cooking Water for Watering Plants

Category Fertilizer
Nutrients and minerals such as calcium are released into the water as you cook eggs, veggies, pasta, and other foods. This is a guide about use cooking water for watering plants.

I made some luscious sesame panko shrimp recently. I soaked the frozen raw shrimp in plain water until defrosted before I breaded them. I saved the shrimpy water and poured about 1/4 cup of it into each of my plants out front. In two weeks it had turned puny looking, new plants into strong, healthy happy little guys with many buds for soon-to-be blooms, especially on my ivy geraniums! NOTE: the pot with mint and tomato plants growing together- the tomato plants were grown from slices of tomato per another Thrifty Fun entrant!

Instead of dumping water away from spaghetti, vegetable or even flat club soda, feed it to your indoor plants. This will give great nourishment to them for growth and greener plants. Make sure the water is cool.

Source: Heloise

By Joyce from Pittsburgh

Every time I hard boil my eggs (which is often), I cool the water and use to water my indoor and outdoor plants. I have learned the extra calcium from the egg water is very good for plants. Why waste the water by pouring it down the drain? I hard boil eggs several times a week for breakfast, egg salad, to put into tuna fish salad and also to make deviled eggs.

Source: A friend shared this with me and I have been doing it for years.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

Use cooking water (water that you have boiled eggs in, or cooked spaghetti, etc.) to water your plants. Make sure it has cooled completely. It not only saves on water, it's great for the plants as well.

By Leann D

Answers:

Use Cooking Water for Plants

You can also use the water that you have boiled potatoes in, just make sure it is cool before adding to your ivy plants, these plants love the starch from the potatoes and the potato water will make the plants shine really pretty. (07/28/2006)

By Annette

Use Cooking Water for Plants

I tried this one time, I believe it was water from macaroni and it ended up killing some of my house plants. (04/26/2009)

By Patty Hunt

Use Cooking Water for Plants

Using water from macaroni should have not killed your plants. Was the water cool when you used it? It needs to be. Water that is warm to you or I can damage the plants. Also was the water salt free? Most people add salt to their water before cooking their pasta. Salt can kill your plants.
(04/26/2009)

By David M.