Using Hedge Apples for Pests

Do I put them out whole or cut them in half? How many do I put in each room?

By Jody

I used whole hedge apples in my house to run out spiders, and was I ever wrong in doing it! They drew gnats, my house was full of them! And then they rotted. Gross! I got rid of them, got rid of the gnats, and learned a lesson. :-)

They should only be used outside the home. I have heard conflicting stories about whether they work or not. My daughter used them outside and had great luck but from what I have read, they do not work at all. At any rate, if you try them, leave them whole and put them outside the home around the foundation.

I have used them and told to use them outside the house because they will draw ants etc.

I have successfully placed hedge apples (also known as Osage oranges) around the house without drawing ants or gnats and have left them 'til they dried up or almost rotted. It's best to place them on a saucer or in a re-used plastic container and not directly on the floor or carpet. It may also depend on what area of the country in which you live whether or not they attract ants/gnats.

I wait until after a good frost to harvest them from the ground. They then have that lovely fragrant aroma, which I would wear as a perfume!, which may act as the repellent. Blessings

Added info. I think Martha Stewart recommended slicing them, letting them dry in a slow oven, and using as Christmas ornaments. They are almost impossible to cut into. My dad almost ruined a saw doing that for me several years ago. The final product was not worth the effort!

uses for horse apples