Using Large Cone Thread Spools on a Regular Sewing Machine
Sometimes you might have the wrong size spool for your machine. This is a page about using large cone thread spools on a regular sewing machine
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
A button and some elastic is an easy fix for using large spools on a standard sewing machine.
- large button (size of top of plastic center of thread, about a penny size)
- elastic cord (used from pair of flip flops I bought)
- Run the cord through the button and tie a double knot.
- Insert cord through thread. Pull cord out end and hold on to it while inserting thread on machine.
- Take the cord and put over the end of machine holder for thread, then stretch it over to the bobbin winder.
- Now make a double knot in the end of the cord, pulling the cord a little tight. I made one of these for each color thread that I use a lot.
On machines that the thread stands up on, just tape a bamboo stick to short upright peg and the problem is solved.
November 23, 20150 found this helpful
I don't use serger thread for general sewing. You need three ply thread and serger thread is 2 ply.