Using Large Cone Thread Spools on a Regular Sewing Machine

Category Sewing
Sometimes you might have the wrong size spool for your machine. This is a guide about using large cone thread spools on a regular sewing machine.

A button and some elastic is an easy fix for using large spools on a standard sewing machine.

• large button (size of top of plastic center of thread, about a penny size)
  • elastic cord (used from pair of flip flops I bought)

1. Run the cord through the button and tie a double knot.
  2. Insert cord through thread. Pull cord out end and hold on to it while inserting thread on machine.
  3. Take the cord and put over the end of machine holder for thread, then stretch it over to the bobbin winder.
  4. Now make a double knot in the end of the cord, pulling the cord a little tight. I made one of these for each color thread that I use a lot.

On machines that the thread stands up on, just tape a bamboo stick to short upright peg and the problem is solved.

I don't use serger thread for general sewing. You need three ply thread and serger thread is 2 ply.