Using Lemon Juice to Keep Rice Fluffy

Has anyone tried putting a tsp. of lemon juice into rice to keep it fluffy? I read somewhere this works really well.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Answers:

Using Lemon Juice to Keep Rice Fluffy

I don't think it makes it fluffy, it whitens it. I microwave rice.

In a greased 2-quart casserole with a lid, add 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of cold water. Add 1 tsp. bottled or fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp. salt, pepper to taste, 1 bay leaf, and 1-2 tablespoons of butter and stir. Microwave this for 5 minutes on high, then 15 minutes on medium. Let sit in microwave for 5-10 minutes. Remove lid, and fluff with fork. Remove bay leaf.

This recipe is based on a 1,000 watt microwave. Cooking time may have to be adjusted, according to the wattage of your microwave.

You can add other spices if you want. At times, I will add cooked onions and red or green bell peppers after it is cooked. Also, add any warmed leftover vegetables. You can also use low-salt chicken broth in place of water for more flavor. Cooked rice can be frozen. (07/14/2009)

By it's.only.me