Using an Applique to Repair a Torn Bed Sheet

My husband wanted me to repair a torn bed sheet that looked as though it may have been damaged in the dryer. There were 2+ parallel tears approximately 4 inches long.

Admittedly, I could have just stitched them together and put a patch over the spot. However, I decided to make it a mini crafting opportunity. I made an appliqué template to make it a whimsical repair.

I searched the internet for a free whale pattern and found one (by Craftyville) that was originally intended to be used to make a toy. With the addition of a spout it was perfect.

Total Time: 1.5 hours

Yield: 1 applique patch

1. Lightly stitch the tears closed using a needle and thread or a zig zag stitch on your machine.
  2. Print out or draw template for whale, cut out.
  3. Draw the template for the spout, cut out.
  4. Trace the paper templates onto cardboard, or draw directly on cardboard. Cut out.
  5. Cut piece of fabric large enough for the whale and one for the spout. I used grey for the whale and blue for the spout.
  6. Cut pieces of Wonder Under slightly smaller than the fabric or the same size to prevent attaching it to your ironing surface.
  7. Follow the instructions for Wonder Under or similar product and iron it onto the wrong side of your fabric.
  8. Next trace the whale template onto the paper side of the fusible webbing. I turned the template over to get the directionality I wanted for my finished appliqué.
  9. Remove the paper backing and follow the instructions for applying the appliqué to the fabric, ironing it onto the sheet to cover the rip.
  10. Follow the same steps to create and apply the water spout.
  11. Finally I decided to work an embroidery back stitch, with coordinating thread around the edge of both the whale and the water spout.