BreadsBaking & Desserts

Walnut Potato Bread

I received a book last Christmas called "Whole Grain Vegan Baking" and have recently have had a lot of fun making the recipes in it. The jist of these recipes is they replace the egg and dairy with potatoes, squash, and other vegetables. Also oils and vegan yogurt.

Total Time: 2 hours, including prep, cooking, cleanup, etc

Yield: 2 small loaves

Source: https://www.amazon.com/Whole-Grain-Vegan-Baking-Celine-ebook/dp/B00C7782Y0?tag=thrif06-20

This is a straight-up bread recipe. I ended up adding extra flour because it was too moist as is.

1. In a medium size bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the water, molasses, and yeast. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to activate yeast.
  2. Put flour and salt in the bowl.
  3. Mix the potato, remaining 1/2 cup of water, and oil in a medium bowl.
  4. Pour potato, water and oil into the flour mixture.
  5. Add yeast mixture.
  6. Knead on lightly floured surface for 8 minutes or so.
  7. Add walnut after 4 minutes of kneading time, until dough is smooth and pliable but not too sticky. If too sticky, add more flour.
  8. Shape into a ball. Place dough in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rise for an hour and a half.
  9. After that time, punch down dough and divide into 2 equal parts. Flour your hands, and shape each into an approximately 8 inch loaf.
  10. Place loaves on baking sheet, making sure bottom is well floured. Cover with plastic wrap.
  11. Preheat oven to 400 F. Remove plastic wrap and bake for 24 minutes, or until the loaves are deep brown in color and sound hollow when the bottoms are tapped.
  12. Ad

13. Let cool on a wire rack.

That sounds SO good. I have to make this. Thank you!

There is no second rising time,other than the time it takes to preheat the oven?
Do you think I could use the dough cycle of my bread machine and continue shaping & baking as written? Bread machines require a different mixing order (liquids in first,then dry-yeast being last)?

I was thinking how yummy this would be with SWEET potatoes!

Hi Marianne! the original calls for bread maker, let me look for the book and see what it says