Clothing StainsCleaning

Washing and Drying Oily Work Clothes

My husband recently started working in the oil field. How do I wash and dry these work clothes without ruining my machines?

By Diann from AR

My ex-husband was working as a helicopter mechanic in the oil patch back in the late seventies when I met him. He would go offshore and be on the rigs for two weeks at a time, so the grime he brought back was pure oil patch grime. He used Tide detergent and the hottest water the laundromat supplied.

That worked OK, but after we married I discovered adding a cup of Pine-Sol really made a difference.

I even had good results with the generic pine cleaner-it cut the oil and grease right out of his clothing, and took the odor away with the grime. He continued his aviation work (although he left the oil fields in the early 80s), and I used liquid pine cleaner as a laundry additive right up to the day we split up.

I've always believed the pine cleaner is what kept my machines running smoothly in spite of the laundry stress I was putting on them.

In over 18 years of marriage we only needed two washers-we bought a used machine (White Westinghouse) in '81 and replaced it with a new one (GE) in '86. That GE was still washing strong when we divorced in 1999-he took it and I bought a new one (Roper).