Preparing a turkey using a Weber Kettle grill results in a moist turkey with a crispy skin without heating up the kitchen.
Total Time: 11 - 13 minutes per pound
Yield: depends on size of turkey
Source: adapted from Weber Kettle instruction booklet
- 1 defrosted turkey up to 18 lbs
- olive or vegetable oil
- Remove the giblet package. Do not stuff turkey.
- Use skewers to secure the wings and any large skin flaps,
- You can use skewers or string to secure the legs if it did not come with a wire or plastic piece already securing them.
- Rub the turkey with vegetable oil of your choice (we prefer olive but any will do).
- Sprinkle oiled bird with seasoning of your choice - salt & pepper, poultry seasoning, lemon pepper, etc.
- Place bird on grill or in roast rack on grill and cook using indirect method* for 11 - 13 minutes per pound, until juices in center are clear or clear jiuces when pricking skin with a skewer.
- Remove to platter, let cool for 15 minutes to make carving easier. You do not have to but the meat tends to shred and fall off the bones if you do not.
*Indirect method - coals on the sides and a drip pan with 2 - 3 cups of water directly under the bird. Then, keep covered except when adding additional charcoal or checking the turkey.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!