RosesGardening

Weeping New Dawn Rose Has Fallen

Our 25 year old weeping "new Dawn" Rose has fallen. It is in full bloom, and I guess the weight of the blooms and beautiful rain we've had was too much for it. I would hate to lose it. My husband has tried 3 times to winch it upright, but it starts to corkscrew as it lifts, it's roots are still in the ground. Do you have any suggestions we could try? Thank you for taking my question.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

You can cut the tree down and it will regrow from the stump.

Because it is a weeping Rose that has been grafted we can't cut the trunk. Thank you for your reply. Gwen

As a rule, we gardeners are a nice lot and enjoy helping others with their gardening chores. This looks like a task for 2-3 people. I'm sure someone would be more than glad to help.

Now is not a good time to cut down or heavily prune this massive rose. If you get it upright till early Spring (at the very first sign of leaf buds forming), then might be a good time to give this beauty a good pruning.

Thank you for your reply. It is the beginning of summer here in Billywillinga Australia. We think we will let the Rose bloom and prune it hard when it stops in autumn then try again. The roots are still in the ground and the trunk has corkscrewed when it fell. Thank you again. Gwen

I wish you luck with this beautiful rose. And thank you for posting. I had never heard of a weeping rose. I researched and found that these roses are grafted twice.

A straight, strong trunk is grafted to a root stock and then, a rambler, climber or similar rose is grafted to the top of the trunk.

Thank you for your reply. I breaks my heart to see it as it is now, but will keep it propped up till the leaves begin to bud next season, then prune it heavily.....Gwen