What is in a School Earthquake Kit?

Preparing an earthquake kit for your child to use at school is easy and can bring some comfort during an uncertain time should a disaster occur. A bag containing shelf stable food, drinks, a personal note, emergency contact info, a photo, and a small toy or game is all you need.

This year my son's school supply list included an earthquake kit. I wasn't sure what that meant because when I think of an earthquake kit, it is usally quite large. So I asked my friends who are teachers and also wrote to the principal at my son's school to find out what needed to be in this kit. This is what I found out.

A school earthquake kit is mostly a comfort item for the kids in the case of an emergency, like an earthquake and the child was stuck at the school. It is good to put a few small comforting items in the kit like a note, a family photo and maybe even some candy. This kit will also insure that your child has some food and clean water available to them in the time that they are waiting to get reunited with their family. According to my son's school these are the items that should be included in the kit.

School Earthquake Kit

• Ziploc bag to hold items below
  • 1-2 cans of food
  • 1-2 mini boxes of cereal
  • Box of juice or small bottle of water
  • Package of crackers
  • Chocolate bar
  • Heavy duty garbage bag to be used as rain poncho and/or for warmth.
  • A note of reassurance from a parent
  • Picture of family
  • Note card with student's info:
    • Date
    • Student's name
    • Age
    • Grade and teacher's name
    • Address
    • Phone number
    • Parent's names
    • Emergency contact
    • Medical information

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Parenting Grade SchoolerSeptember 16, 2019
😷
📓
🐛
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/What-is-in-a-School-Earthquake-Kit-1.html