DevelopmentBaby

When Can Babies Sit Up Alone?

Category Development

My daughter is about 10 months old; she can't sit, but she is looking OK. If I take my hand away, she goes backwards.

By Islam

Have you brought up this concern with your child's doctor? While it is true that all babies develop at their own rate, certain things are considered to be developmental markers. If your baby is not sitting alone by the age of 10 months, this is a concern. Most babies are crawling and starting to pull up by that age. Please talk to you child's doctor about this. If there is a problem, early intervention can make all the difference.

I agree with moseley3, ask your doctor. All babies develop at their own pace but your doctor will know if there is any cause for concern.

I know my son started to do an army crawl around 8 months but at this time I think I was still worried about him falling backwards when I would sit him up. I would put pillows around him so if he fell he wouldn't hurt himself.

My best wishes to you and yours.

All children have different rates they do milestones but this is concerning. My 1st walked at 13 months. My 2nd at 9 months, my 3rd at 7 months. All were sitting by themselves by 6 months of age. My 3rd one never crawled... skipping an important step is also important to watch.

The brain needs these things to be met...network building in the brain. With that, my 3rd climbed the doorways -sitting at the top, totally a monkey, and his brain skills were excellent when he got to school. Did computers by age 2, could take the skrew driver and take things apart, put back together. Those are milestone markers too.

Maybe some therapy with OT or PT would be helpful. Our school deals with early education in this manner as well. Don't wait, check it out.

Babies will probably learn to sit on independently when their ages is 4 and 7 months. Its better to get in consult with doctor

Sensible advice from others already but, with concerns like this, it is always best to check with a professional - in this case your child's doctor.

In general, babies arent able to lift their heads for the first couple of months, at four months theyre still rolling around, at six months they will be sitting up on their own, possibly standing by nine months and taking their first quite literally baby-steps by about twelve months. But, and this is a big BUT, this is only a guideline, there are children who develop well either side of this 'curve'.

So don't worry, get to the doc and best wishes!