White Cheddar Au Gratin Potatoes
These creamy au gratin potatoes are a great side dish and are easy to make.
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 4-5 large Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cup white cheddar, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray casserole pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Using a mandolin or sharp knife, slice potatoes to approx. 1/8 inch thick slices. Cut the onion the same way, separating the rings.
- Put one half of the potato slices into the pan. Arranging them to cover the bottom.
- Now layer the onions on top of the potatoes. Add some salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the remaining potatoes to the pan, arranging them to cover the onions.
- Put butter in a saucepan, melting it over medium heat.
- Add flour and salt, then stir constantly for 2 minutes with a whisk.
- Stir in milk, and cook mixture until thickened. Continue stirring to prevent burning.
- Once the milk mixture has thickened, stir in cheese. Stir until cheese has melted (approx. 30 seconds), then remove from heat.
- Pour cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes so the sauce can set up. Enjoy!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!