Yellow Stains on Vinyl Floors from Area Rugs

How do I clean yellow stains off a vinyl floor caused by area rugs?

Lauri from Pottstown, PA

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have this same problem, have removed rugs and they are not going away...Have tried bleach, different cleaners nothing works. Any ideas that would be helpful that would be great. I agree why would they make rugs that do this!!""

After trying all of the suggested solutions with no success, I came up with something that worked very well for me. I placed a four foot fluorescent fixture over the discolored area and left it on for 2 or 3 days. By the end of the period the discoloration was completely gone. Maybe this won't work on all vinyl, but it sure worked for me.

By Will (Guest Post)
Best Answer

The staining is most likely attributed to the antioxidants that are placed into the rubber backing to help maintain the rubber's integrity. Over time and exposure to UV and Ozone, rubber products can break down.

(dry rot). The problem lies in that these types of chemicals are migratory and tend to leach into adjacent products such as vinyl. Once they migrate, they can not be permanently removed.

By Jessica (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I tried baking soda and it worked. All you have to do is wet the surface and apply the baking soda and leave for at least 10min and remove it with a cloth and the stain is gone.

Do you use a wet or dry cloth in wiping up the baking soda?

I found this was really helpful but mine was very pale vinyl and took some hours to work. Still a residue, but much lighter. I will see if the sun lightens it or repeat the soda treatment.

This does not work for me at all have tried everything and at the point of giving up

By Beverly Pennnington (Guest Post)

I have amber colored stains on my vinyl floor from the glue bleed through the surface. Can these be removed or lightened

By Outraged (Guest Post)

It is ridiculous that rugs that cost less than $50 in most cases will be allowed to ruin $1000 to $3000 in flooring. I have also tried everything including sanding and nothing works. The only thing that seems to approach working is exposure to sun light.

Another case of lack of regulation and letting manufacturers put out trash products at the peril of the consumer. It is a toss up as to who bears the most blame; the rug merchant or the vinyl manufacturer. Ops just does not cut it.

By BC (Guest Post)

The yellowing on my floor is not caused from rugs and appears where most of the traffic is. Could this be caused by the rubber soles of shoes?

I had a large ugly stain. I let sunlight hit the floor 24/7. It took 3 months but all of it disappeared.

You can try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser