Homemade Silly Putty Recipes
Silly putty is a longtime favorite toy for kids. You can make your own versions using a variety of household products. Try making your own and see how close to the original recipe you can get. This page contains recipes for homemade silly putty.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Remember Silly Putty? This is similar to that, fun for the kids and it will amaze them to see how it is made.
Approximate Time: 10 minutes
- 8 oz. white glue
- 4 - 5 Tbsp. acrylic paint
- several cups of water
- borax laundry booster
- airtight containers to store goo in
- Combine the glue, paint, and 3/4 cup water in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1 Tbsp. borax and 1/4 cup water.
- Pour the borax mixture into the glue mixture and stir until a blob forms. Don't worry if the blob looks stringy; it will smooth out on its own as you work it.
- Remove the stringy blob from the mixture, press it into a ball working it with your hands while working the extra water out. Place it in the airtight container.
- Keep making another batch of the borax and water and pour it into the remaining glue mixture until the glue mixture is gone.
When not playing with the goo, make sure to keep it in the airtight container.
By Ann Winberg from Loup City, NE
- 1/2 cup Elmer's glue
- 1/2 cup liquid starch
- 3 drops food coloring
Place white glue in a medium shallow dish. Slowly add liquid starch to glue, kneading with your fingers. The more you handle the silly putty, the better it will turn out! If desired, add drops of food coloring, any color you want and continue to knead with hands (I wear rubber gloves so my hands do not get stained, until color is fully incorporated). Makes about 1 cup.
By Jan from Suring, WI
ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.
February 20, 20070 found this helpful
- 1 Tbsp. liquid cornstarch
- 2-3 drops food coloring
- 2 Tbsp. white glue (use the original, adult type Elmer's glue)
- Plastic Easter egg container or baggie
Mix the white glue and food coloring together in a small bowl. Pour liquid cornstarch into a small second bowl. Slowly pour the glue mixture on top of the liquid cornstarch. Allow the mixture to stand for 5 minutes or until the glue absorbs the liquid cornstarch. Remove the putty from the bowl and knead until desired consistency.
Place in containers and enjoy.
You may also use 1 box cornstarch and add water until desired consistency adding food coloring at the end.
Homemade Silly Putty
What is liquid cornstarch? I remember Silly Putty from WAY back in the 60's. (02/16/2005)
Homemade Silly Putty
I think what they were trying to say is liquid Niagra clothes starch. (03/01/2005)