Septic Tank Tips?

ThriftyFun.com Staff
Category Septic Tank

I bought a house in the boondocks, with private water and septic. What are the dos and don'ts? I love bleach as a disinfectant, is it okay to use?

Linda

Septic tanks function with bacteria, clorox bleach can destroy the bacterial action required, especially if you use a lot of bleach in your laundry.

I would suggest that you dig a hole for a separate "dry well" for your washer. My husband used two 55 gal. plastic drums on a bed of gravel, open ends together and put a cinder block inside to keep dirt from caving in drums when covered over. Drill large holes in the drum for the water to flow out. You will have to run a PVC stand pipe for washer hose and PVC pipe to "dry well" drum. Good Luck! The hardest part is digging the hole. This has worked well for us for many, many years.

Ms. Syd Barr - Dunkirk, MD

this past week-end my septic backed up, i've had the house for 4 years, the previous owner said it had only been 5 years since it was pumped, but the septic tank guy said it had to be much earlier since it was only me and my husband who live here it would'nt be that full that soon!
anyway, he and the plumber both said .ridx and other similar products don't work, that once a month flush a pack of Fleischman's Yeast down your toilet even if you have more than one toilet just flush it down one of them this wil help your pipes and your septic tank. also to only use 1 ply toilet paper, 2 ply does'nt disenegrate well and you can block up your pipes more, and don't flush tampons or napkins either, i always inform any ladies who are guest of my house to dispose of another way, they understand the reason and have no problem with my request.