Cataloging Photos

Does anyone have a good suggestion for cataloging photographs? I have boxes of them and would like to put them in some kind of order. Should they be chronological, by subject, etc.? Any ideas appreciated.

By Dee

Best Answer

I like to do scrapbooks. A few years ago
I took a class in Utah and the teacher suggested that we sort our photos by occasion and then year. i.e. birthdays - 1998. Then sort by person and go from there. Even if you don't do scrapbooks, you could still put them in your photo album that way and I just use old envelopes and label what's inside.

I have had same problem and still do... i scan photos immediately into computer Start by creating a list of the subjects you shoot. then break down further to subcategores. after lists are created, assign three-letter codes to each one. and don't duplicate codes. use computer data base like excel or parodox. this will allow you to produce labels and catalog. next photos need to be stored, either in boxes, label, or protective sheets. Be cautious of areas that climate dampens or get too hot as film will mold or moths can get in and eat photos. Either a filing cabinet, 3 ring binders or picture storage boxes will surfice to store in. good luck it is lot of work but well worth it

We had a similar Brainstorm recently. To read those responses, click on the link below.

Try using an index box. get one thats big enough and there are tab headings on the dividers