Cleaning Melted Crayon from Dried Clothes

Reaching into the dryer to remove your laundry only to discover the violet crayon is now decorating your clean clothing is frustrating. This is a guide about cleaning melted crayon from dried clothes.

I searched this thread and found this to be the most common successful formula for removing crayon from clothes after going through the washer/dryer, so thought I'd try it. I had red crayon on a whole load of clothes, dozens and dozens of spots. Since it was me and my son's fault, I had to deal with it, sparing my wife the extra work.

I used extra detergent (full cap Tide Free + full cap Tide Stain booster), plus borax (20 Mule Team, 1 cup), plus Oxiclean (4 scoops of the powder). I soaked the clothes for one hour on the hottest setting on our LG topload He machine, then used the heavy soil wash cycle.

Success! Got out 99% of the crayon with this approach. Found three remaining light spots which I'll try washing a second time, but the vast majority are completely gone. Nice!

My son cleaned the dryer drum with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Power, which did the job well. I cleaned the filter with Soft Scrub as others had recommended, on a paper towel, with very hot water, and used a butter knife to wedge the towel into the small spaces. A bit of work, but also successful.

I appreciated the many suggestions here on ThriftyFun, and wanted to pass on what worked for me.

Don't give up, it can be done!

By Robbster from Ohio

Top Comment

I opened my dryer to discover a pink crayon had melted all over my dark clothing. I used the one capful of Tide, 1 cup of Borax, and three scoops of Oxyclean. Let the load soak in hottest water for one hour then washed.

All the clothes came out spotless! Thank you so much for the formula for what could have been such a horrible disaster!

Top Comment

I followed all of the steps above only with the detergent I have at home (Costco and oxiclean stain remover) and the borax, etc. and it worked all the types of fabric I had in the load. We had sport eye black in our dried load! Thanks for all the good tips.

Top Comment

Thank you, Robster. It totally worked. Got 98% of the melted crayon came off.

I never check pockets when I wash clothes, and of course this time I payed the price. I did not realize there was a crayon in a pocket until I dried the load and to my horror saw that I had blue spots on everything. I honestly almost started crying.

I'm so glad I Googled and found this website. I read a lot of ways to help get crayon off, one post said to try LA's Totally Awesome that could be found at a dollar store. Thanks to this tough economy I decided to try this $1.00 product. And let me tell you, thanks goodness for this product.

I soaked the damaged clothes in the washer with hot water (I had a small load of damaged clothes) and poured in half the bottle of LA's Totally Awesome and I let it soak for approximately 30 min. I wanted to be sure the crayon was going to come out so I also scrubbed each piece with a cleaning brush. And wala out came the crayon. I then ran a normal cycle on hot water. Thank you for all the tips. This product will now be a must in my house. Good luck and I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

• 1 half bottle aprox LA's Totally Awesome ($1.00)
  • scrub brush ($1.00)
  • water

1. Soak clothes in washer with hot water and approximately half a bottle of LA's Totally Awesome in washer for about 30 minutes.
  2. Use scrub brush to scrub out crayon.
  3. I poured some more solution directly on spots if they were not coming out.
  4. Add detergent and wash.

Top Comment

I had a large load of clothes along with baby clothes for our unborn son--my faves from my other boys that got washed and dried with at least 3 crayons (prob in a pocket?). Each and every piece had marks all over them - dried crayon lines and my dryer was coated in wax. I literally started crying. Tried soaking and washing 4 times with tide stain booster and oxyclean - no luck.

I ended up soaking in a wash tub (I have a front loader with no soak option) with la's totally awesome detergent for an hour in hot water, then I put all of the clothes in the washer and washed on a sanitary wash for 2 hours.

Also added la's totally awesome oxygen stain booster. Amazingly almost all of the marks came out--only a few pieces have light marks on them. One is a white t-shirt that looks like someone drew on it with crayons. Took quite a long time, but the clothes look so much better! Thank you!

My grandson left crayons in his clothing and it has left the clothes dryer and clothes full of crayon. How do I remove it from the cylinder in the dryer and also from his clothes?

By karenf from Lake Worth, FL

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

To clean the crayon off of the dryer cylinder used an old/used fabric softener dryer sheet and some elbow grease. The old/used dryer sheet works just like a Mr.

Clean Magic Eraser. I learned this trick from my husband. I'm still researching ways to get melted crayon out of dried clothes.

I need help! I have dried clothes in my dryer and have found a black oils pastel crayon melted on all of my clothes. Help how do I get them clean. They are brand new!!! I just washed them once.

Debbie in Illinois

Answers

By Linda (Guest Post)
Best Answer

On whites, try RIT color remover. Check the RIT product line, they might have something that will help. They have a website.

What is the best way to get melted crayon out of your clothes?

By Soraya from Kissimmee

Answers

Best Answer

Place paper towel on the top and under the clothing and iron on it. The paper towel will absorb the liquid from the crayon.

I washed clothes not realizing there were crayons in there. I dried the clothes and and am needing to know what to do to get the crayon out of clothes. Please help me?

By Angela from Clinton, MA

Answers

Best Answer

The hands-down winner for me. I followed the advice of the editor which was to start simple and work up from there. I used 1 box of baking soda and followed the regular washing instructions, voila, almost everything was gone from 4 dress shirts and 2 high-end restaurant aprons. (My son works at a high-end restaurant and picked up a brown crayon and put it in his apron. He forgot all about it and all his uniforms were 'ruined', at least till today.)

Of course, that's after I gave up following my first method (it was grueling and I couldn't get it to work). At first, I started with one of the aprons and a blunt knife, trying to scrape off the excess crayon and running boiling water from the back of the fabric through the apron and blot onto a clean white towel to 'blot' off the crayon residue. This was grueling because the apron was water-resistant and I couldn't get the boiling water through it easily. Hardly anything was coming off and I scraped and boiled water for 2 hours, barely making a dent in the apron. My hands and back were sore.

I gave up and searched the internet and found all your great ideas. Starting simple was the miracle for me - although I was worried, the washing instructions called for a gentle cycle and cold water. I used almost 1 full box of baking soda, upped the temperature to 'warm wash and warm rinse', used my gentle detergent and set my HE washer on gentle.

After the first round, I had a couple spots of crayon left on an apron and a bunch on a shirt sleeve (it had been turned inside out on itself, so when I opened it there was still crayon all over inside it), so I put the whole load thru another gentle cycle with warm wash/warm rinse and detergent. (I didn't have any more baking soda). After the 2nd time, I only had 1 small spot on the apron that I could rub off with my fingernail. Too easy!

Thanks for the great tip!

How do you get melted crayon out of a full load of light clothes that have already gone through the washer and dryer?

By Shellerz from Dsm, IA

Answers

LA's Totally Awesome! 1/2 bottle in the prewash compartment and 1/2 bottle in the main wash compartment and then set on the hottest water possible and add the soak phase. Incredible! Worked the first time! I had cotton T-Shirts and a nylon running jacket. I set mine on "Whitest Whites" (extra hot wash) and the "Soak Mode". LA's Totally Awesome can be found at Dollar Tree or Wal-Mart. I've been using it on so many things, including my laundry stains, for a couple of years. I didn't realize it would work on crayons until now!

How do you remove melted black crayon from denim jeans?

By Shirley G.

I washed and dried a crayon and now it is all over the clothes. How do I get it out?

By Mellissa W.

How do you get crayon out of clothes that have been dried in the dryer?

By Julie

Load More