Cleaning a Rust Stain on a Porcelain Sink

Category Rust
There are a number of ways to remove stubborn rust discoloration from a porcelain fixture. This is a guide about cleaning a rust stain on a porcelain sink.

I have a grey porcelain bathroom sink that I love. Around the drain there is quite a bit of rust. I really don't want to replace the sink. Does anyone know how to get rid of rust once and for all? Or could I sand down the rusty spots and apply paint for porcelain over it and have it last? Thanks.

By Cyd from CO

Answers

Best Answer

A pumice stone will also remove the brown ring in your toilet bowl without scratching it up!

I recently moved into a house with an old porcelain sink, where the previous tenant clearly didn't take much pride in keeping their sink clean. It has stains in it (rust? spaghetti sauce? who knows!) that two rounds of soaking with a bleach solution and a couple of Comet scrub downs have not gotten out. I've made a dent in them, but I'm not convinced I'm going about getting them out the right way. Any suggestions on how to get these stains off of this otherwise beautiful white sink?

Michelle

Answers:

Rust Stains in a White Sink

If the stain really is rust, unfortunately bleach will set it. So it may be too late to do anything. It's usually safe to try something like baking soda as an abrasive scrub if you aren't sure if something is rust. Sorry not too much help now! (08/27/2004)

By Katie

Rust Stains in a White Sink

Toilette bowl cleaner and a brush.. Be sure to use gloves when scrubbing or squirt on and let sit overnight. Then brush and rinse with lots of water. (08/27/2004)

By Michaela

Rust Stains in a White Sink

I have usede a product called "ZUD", it comes in a can like comet..and it works great. You can even make a paste and let it sit on your stains. (08/27/2004)

By Faithful

Rust Stains in a White Sink

Rub gently with 'wet and dry' sandpaper. It may have a different name in the USA but any sandpaper with a grit of 600 or greater. As the name suggests it can be used with water and does not damage the surface. It can also be used on 'toilet rings'. Much less toxic and cheaper than buying chemicals.

Regards

Jo (08/27/2004)

By Jo Bodey

Rust Stains in a White Sink

I've used a product called Lime Away with good results, of course a lot of elbow grease and a good brush along with it. (08/27/2004)

By Ann

Rust Stains in a White Sink

I had the same problem in our old farm house tub when we moved in (from rust). I bought a bottle of The Works tub/shower cleaner at Rural King or Dollar General has it too-less then $4. Every time I walked by I would spray some on the stain, it eventually just ate it off. Took maybe 1/2 the bottle, stain had been there a loooooooooong time. Just keep letting it soak. Make sure to rinse it really good and wash with some soap after. I've used this product on lots of things and it's always worked. The Works for the toilets works great too. Good luck:) (08/28/2004)

By

Rust Stains in a White Sink

SnoBol. It literally "melts" the rust away. Just be careful. Keep the water running or this stuff may eat into the porcelain....I don't know for sure, but it sure was the answer to my prayers when I needed to remove years worth of rust from a double shower and various sinks in the house. No scrubbing. (08/28/2004)

By mperrin.2

Rust Stains in a White Sink

"The Works" is the best I've used. It's far better that Lime Away. Use heavy rubber gloves! I've used "The Works" for toilets (great job removing tough rings), for tub and shower (removing mineral deposits), window cleaner.
I've not used "ZUD" yet, but want to try it. I was told it would remove rust spots that are appearing on my oneida flatware when it comes out of the dishwasher. (09/24/2004)

By Oscar

Rust Stains in a White Sink

Rust in sinks, bathtubs, etc. is usually caused from a bacteria that grows in the hotwater heater. You can find out more from a hotwater heater manfacturer. I learned this from information I found on the http://www.hotwater.com/index.html website. You can clean it but if you don't correct the problem then the rust will return. (01/30/2005)

By Allen

Rust Stains in a White Sink

"The Works" Toilet cleaner got rid of rust in my white sink within a few minutes. Purchased at Dollar General for a buck or two. Great Stuff! (02/12/2005)

By Hack

Rust Stains in a White Sink

Thanks to reading about "The Works" on your site, my sink came clean. The rust disappeared with a minimal amount of effort. The cost was little for such wonderful results. Thank you again. (08/07/2005)

By Patty D

Rust Stains in a White Sink

I've used just about everything to get the rust stains out of my white kitchen sink. After reading a few posts, I found out about BarKeepers Friend. I let it sit in for about 5 minutes, scrubed and rinsed. I didn't even have to scrub hard, it all just came off! I was amazed :) (01/22/2006)

By HTStylez

Rust Stains in a White Sink

I use a product called "Whink" Rust and Stain Remover. It is a brown plastic bottle with a white cap. Look for it at Home Depot, Menard's, Lowe's. Put some on a soft white cloth and rub. (04/12/2006)

By clarissa

Thank you for the feedback!!!!

I wanted to purchase a porcelain sink but was afraid of it staining. This page has helped me to make a decision on getting it anyway, confidently knowing that I will be able to keep it clean!!!! (10/27/2006)

By Tina

Rust Stains in a White Sink

Toothpaste and baking soda.Mix into a paste, dab it on dry and then scrub and rinse! For a panic situation. (09/22/2007)

By kimberely

Rust Stains in a White Sink

I just used toothpaste. Left it on for a few minutes and rubbed off. It worked like a charm and I didn't have to buy anything new! My rust stain was new, though, so this may not be as helpful for older stains. (05/15/2008)

By mm in dc

Rust Stains in a White Sink

Toothpaste and baking soda work great! It also worked for rust stains on my counter top. Just put the toothpaste on the stain first, then rub a bit of baking soda on top to make a paste. Leave on for a couple of minutes, scrub a bit, and it's gone!
And these were old rust stains that I had tried removing various ways! (11/13/2008)

By Chele

There are some rust spots around the edge of the overflow drain in my porcelain sink. Does anyone have a way to clean off this rust?

Karen

Answers:

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

I would use Clorox Cleanup. It has removed rust stains on my counter tops. You just need to let it sit for awhile, at least 1/2 hour, before wiping up. Hope this helps. (04/26/2005)

By Antique Lady

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

There's a cleanser called Zud made especially for this problem. It works great and can even lighten up really old rust stains. Most grocery stores, Kmarts and Walmarts should carry this with all other cleansers. (04/26/2005)

By pattyneu

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

My first thought was BarKeepers Friend too. I use it all the time and love it. Along with the other uses mentioned I've found that it removes koolade and juice stains from my countertop too. It also does a great job on removing the stains in my sink that get down in those little tiny scratches. Just wet the sink, sprinkle it on and let it set about 10 minutes. Then gently scrub. My sink looks like new again! I use it in my bathroom sink and tub too. It's my favorite cleaning product. (04/27/2005)

By Shirley M

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

We have well water here and I have great sucess with "Iron Out", available at the grocery or hardware stores.

I also LOVE Bar Keepers Friend! I use it on counter tops and sinks and tubs and much much more!

I don't think you will be disappointed with these products. Good Luck! (04/27/2005)

By Summer

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Purchase a bottle of Whink Rust Remover. You will find it in any hardware store, possibly even the supermarket. Don't let it sit on the sink too long. It will remove the rust in a hurry. Bonnie (04/28/2005)

By bbartlein

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

There is a product called CLR that can be purchased in most grocery stores as well as Walmart, Fred Myer etc. CLR removes calcium, rust and lime try it but use gloves since it is hard on the skin, I have used it for many years with great success. (05/05/2005)

By Walker

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

My contractor used a product called 'naval jelly' to remove the rust left in my tub when one of the framers left nails in the bathtub. That rust stain was in the tub for months before he removed it. I kept telling him I'd want a new tub if that rust didn't come out, but he got it out! Try naval jelly. (05/06/2005)

By Lisa

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

You should use Bar Keepers Friend. It works great on porcelain sinks. You can find it at local stores or they have a web site at www.barkeepersfriend.com (05/27/2005)

By Lisa Neace

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Lowe's sells a product called Zud. You can find it in the cleaning section next to Comet or Ajax. It's non-abrasive and works very well on copper bottom pots or good quality cookware, also. (07/05/2005)

By jeanne

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

This is for Tonya G....

Try using a Mr. Clean Magic Sponge on your tub. I have used them to remove soap scum and the other icky stuff that collects on the fiberglass tub at home (I can't use anything abrasive to clean it, or it will scratch). I was at a loss as to what to use to clean the tub, but I tried one of the sponges and have been using them ever since. You will have to apply a little elbow grease, especially if there is a big buildup of stuff on the tub, but I think that you will be happy with the results. Good luck! (07/06/2005)

By P.

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

ZUD, ZUD, ZUD...Jeanne previously gave this suggestion but I want to emphasize that she is correct. ZUD is a powder that contains oxalic acid and is sold as a "Rust Remover." It works! Wet the rust with water and sprinkle the ZUD on the rust and rub with a sponge or paper towel into a paste. Let set for a few minutes. Then rub the rust out. It should not require much effort. I even used a paste of water and Zud to remove an "unremovable" rust stain from my favorite white dress shirt after I had tried a myriad of solutions to no avail. Zud is available at virtually any grocery store, usually in the same location as other "kitchen cleansers" like Comet. Zud comes in a round cylindrical box like other kitchen cleansers. (07/07/2005)

By Lee Smithson

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

I hope your porcelain sink isn't like ours, as where the rust stains were around the overflow drain, they've all chipped off, from there all the way to the bottom drain!!! We're going to have to replace both our bathroom sinks, due to this. I'm not sure what's caused it, but it is where toothpaste is usually dropped sometimes while brushing ones teeth and where we'd spit and rinse our teeth. If it is the toothpaste & dental rinse, makes you wonder what's doing to our teeth! (08/11/2005)

By badwater

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Just a warning about using CLR--I tried it for the rust around my drain on my porcelain sink and guess I left in on too long, because it stripped the shiny layer off the porcelain where it had touched it. So use caution. (11/24/2005)

By Guest

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Any mark on porcelain can be polished out with cleaning cream for smooth top ranges. restores it like new (11/27/2005)

By scooty

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Barkeepers' Friend is the best thing to use. Make a paste and let it sit on stain, then scrub. Repeat if neccesary. (09/03/2006)

By Beth

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Try vinegar and baking soda paste. Mix some vinegar and baking soda into a paste and let it sit on the stain for 10 minutes. Worked for me. I caught the stain early, within 24 hours, I had left a wet tool on the sink after I repaired the sink the night before and the tool left a rust stain on the sink. (07/02/2007)

By Pork

Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Oh my gosh, I just read this page and luckily had just bought Barkeeper's Friend (Lowes was out of Ajax.) and it did exactly what people have said. All the rust in my bathtub is gone! What a miracle! I was beginning to lose hope. (08/11/2007)

By linyan

I was wanting to know how do you remove rust from a porcelain kitchen sink?