Using Baby Yarn to Make Adult Sweaters

Does anyone have any patterns for crocheting ladies XL size sweaters using baby yarn? I have a ton of baby yarn left over from past projects and I just know it'd work up into a gorgeous sweater for me if I could just find a pattern.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Best Answer

Since this yarn is fine, twist several yarns together to create a heavier yarn more suited to the adult sizes, and create a beautiful blended color.

Chloelizabeth, heavier is not what I'm wanting. The reason I like the baby yarns so much is because it is so light and airy. Perfect for a late spring or early fall day.

www.thriftyfun.com/tf89153834.tip.html
is the website for a simple, yet pretty, sweater and easy to make. If I can make it, anyone can! When finished, I tried it on an it fit me and I wear an x-L, but for sweaters, I do not like them to fit tight, so I would increase the size of the sweater.

and then again, with baby yarn, it would not be as tight as a 4-ply regular yarn. Give it a try and in baby yarn, it should be beautiful. Happy Crocheting.

Actually, if you just use baby yarn to make a 4-ply yarn pattern, the gauge will be way off since the baby yarn doesn't work up as well. Try a crochet cotton sweater pattern if you can find one. You *might* be able to do a granny square pattern and adapt the number of squares. There's one at web.archive.org/.../03-54.html that's cute.

Hope you find one that will work. I'd love to see it when finished!

Dee

Baby yarn is the same as sport-yarn isn't it? Try a pattern using sport yarn.

There are lots of free patterns online for sport weight yarn or fingering yarn. Just type in your search bar "free pattern for......", what ever your looking for. Make sure you type in free. Good luck:)