Training AdviceDogs

Training a Dog to Ring the Bell

My daughter's fiance' taught their dogs Roxy, Cosmo, and Jada to jiggle the jingle bells hanging on the door when they needed to go outside. He started by jingling the bells every time he took them out and they caught on. When my daughter and he were over, we were sitting at the dining table and Jada rang the bells. My daughter jumped up to take her outside. My niece saw what happened and asked, "Now what happened?"

Cosmo has retired with us. Roxy and Jada now live in Palm Beach, Florida. Here's a picture of Cosmo. The first time he saw snow, he didn't know how to do his business, but he had no problem peeing on my daffodils.

By suegordon123 from Salisbury NC

Cosmo is a cutie! I trained my Schnoodle, Sophie, the same thing. I never have to guess if she wants out, she always lets me out with the ring of a bell.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

When you get a new puppy, tie a string to your back door (or whatever door you want the puppy to use) with a bell attached. Every time you take the puppy outside to potty, tap the bell and say "outside".

Eventually, when your puppy needs to go outside, he will tap the bell with his nose or paw, and wait to be let outside. This really works! Puppies, if you can convince your human to try this, you will have quicker access to the facilities, and you'll both be much happier!

By Kay from Storm Lake, IA

Hang a bell by the door so new puppy (as young as 6 weeks old) can be trained to let you know when he needs to go out. Touch his nose to the bell every time you put him out. Dog should learn in two weeks

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark,Ca.

Answers:

Training a Puppy to Ring the Bell

I trained my dog to ring a bell also. I started when she was 6 weeks old and she now is 4 years old and still rings the bell when she needs out :-)

A.Moore (03/15/2006)

By A.Moore

Training a Puppy to Ring the Bell

I did this with my first dog and it worked great. I told my daughter to do it and it's works for her too. Now I am teaching my new pup. Val (03/20/2006)

By valery

Training a Puppy to Ring the Bell

I started using a bell because our puppy can't go down our hardwood stairs to the door. Now he seems to just ring it when he wants to go out and play. When he rings it I am taking him to the potty spot and not letting him run past there. If he goes potty I am giving him a treat, if he doesn't I am just bringing him right back inside. (03/25/2006)

By Katie