CarpetCleaning

Black Ink on Gray Carpet

I had a bottle of black dye leak on my gray carpet. Unfortunately its in an apartment. and there are two large stain spots. I'm getting desperate, bleach seems like the next best thing. Any ideas of how to remove the stain?

Corrin

http://www.ehow … -ink-carpet.html

Spilled ink doesn't necessarily mean curtains for your carpet. Watch stains disappear with this simple solution.

Instructions

Things Youll Need:
Soft Dry Cloth
White Vinegar
White Vinegar
Hair Spray
Medium-bristle Toothbrushes
Medium-bristle Brush
Step
1
Saturate the ink stain with hair spray.
Step
2
Allow the stain to fully dry.
Step
3
Mix a solution of one part water to one part white vinegar.
Step
4
Pour the solution on the stain.
Step
5
Brush the area lightly with a medium-bristle brush, preferably a toothbrush.
Step
6
Continue brushing until the stain is gone.
Step
7
Blot the area with a dry, white cloth.
Step
8
Flood the area with water.
Step
9
Blot again.
Step
10
Allow to dry.

Personally, I have used Shout Liquid Laundry Stain Remover on upholstery and carpet stains, but I don't know if it works on ink.

First, you need to find out exactly WHAT type of ink it was. Was it a pigment or dye based ink? Also, was it an alcohol based ink? I'm assuming it was "India" ink because that's what used to be the main kind of ink sold until recently, but then again, it could have been an ink-pad refill too & they come in "dye" & "pigment" & also alcohol based. Printer refill ink is USUALLY alcohol based & if it is, it can be cleaned up with alcohol. You'd spray a bit on, then blot with a clean & dry cloth, then you'd have to repeat that step many times. But, you'd need to know the exact type of ink that was spilt because each different type of ink is usually cleaned differently. Here is some info, BUT If I were you, I'd call a person who cleans carpeting & find out what cleaner I could buy for spot-treatment. Also, Google the web for "Professional Ink Cleaner"

HERE'S SEVERAL GOOD ARTICLES ABOUT CLEANING INK FROM CARPETING:
http://ezineart … er&id=636120
http://www.doit … com/stry/stains1
http://home.how … n-ink-stains.htm

MORE INFO FROM ANOTHER FORUM:
http://ths.gard … 01309326480.html

Wow! I see alot of answers much more scientific than mine is about to be. I once made a really, really big mess with a bottle of black leather dye. I salvaged my marriage..um...I mean my living room, with a bit of nail polish remover. Now, I'd be a wee bit cautious just in case it were to melt the carpet fibers...well, just test it first!

Hi. I've had some luck using hairspray on ink. My former house had huge spots on the carpet and every month I would spray with hairspray and blot. then I would clean my carpet.

Although no one has said it, they are implying -- don't use bleach. That will only make things worse. Then you will have white spots as well as the ink spots. Or perhaps even holes.

I spilled a can of stain on grey carpet once and as a desperate measure used paint remover and it was the only thing that would take it out. It didn't harm the carpet in any way but the odor is very strong.

Hi! You can pour some Talcum Powder on the stain and rub it a little to get well absorbed, leaving it to be there for few hours. Wash the carpet with any normal detergent. If its still there try it once or twice, stain will go away with no marks remaining.

I tried the hairspray and no luck. I tried alcohol and vinegar and also no luck. The dye is now dry and seems to be very settled into the carpet, anymore tips that I could try?

Goof Off. Unbelievable product. Follow the directions. It is a miracle in a can.