Homemade Rinse Agent Recipes

Category Cleaning
You can save money on rinse agents by making them yourself. This page contains homemade rinse agent recipes.

Some of you have posted that you use vinegar in the dishwasher as a rinse agent (rather than products like Jet Dry). I'd like to do that too, but I need more information. With Jet Dry, you just put the product in the dishwasher once a month or something like that. Is that what you do with the vinegar - just put some in the dishwasher's little dispensing well once a month? Or do you do it more often? Thanks.

Tina from Ashland, OR

Answers

I'll have to be a dissenting vote here--I tried it a couple of years ago and it didn't do a thing for me. I had just as many spots as I did with nothing in the rinse dispenser. I hope it works for you, but don't be surprised if it doesn't.

Whether or not vinegar works for you depends on the type of water that you have. When it worked for me, I opened the door on the rinse cycle and tossed in about a cup of vinegar.

Worked like a charm. Since I used a lot of vinegar, I didn't use the little dispenser. Now that I have a water softener, I don't need to use either a rinse agent or vinegar.

By MaryBelle (Guest Post)

As the jet dry well needs it.

I use vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser. I just fill it up when it indicates it's empty.

I've been filling the JetDri rinse reservoir with vinegar lately, and the glasses and plates are defintely clearer.

I use vinegar in the dishwasher not for spot removal but to keep the lines clear because we have a lot of calcium in our water. I also use it in the coffee maker, then run a pot of water through after, and I use it in my wash machine to keep those lines clean too.

I have to use about a 1/2 c because of the condition of our water.

I use vinegar as a rinse aid. I use about a 1/4 cup I throw in when the dishes start to wash, I don't put it in the well and it works good for me.

I set a small bowl that holds about 1/2 cup of vinegar on the top rack just before I turn the machine on. It has made a huge difference. I don't want to use JetDry any longer, was looking for something more natural.
This vinegar disperses as the water is tossed around in the machine.

I have read that you should not put vinegar in the dispenser because it might be too caustic for the parts.

Anonymous

I believe the word you meant to use was corrosive, not caustic. Caustic is actually the opposite of an acid...

I would like a recipe for dishwasher rinse agent.

Thanks,
Carol from Anderson, IN

Answers

White vinegar! Some folks put it in their rinse aid dispenser. I usually just interrupt the last rinse cycle (at the beginning of that last cycle) and dump in a few "glogs" :>) .....maybe 1/2 cup. It makes your glassware sparkle!

By (Guest Post)

Yep, white vinegar in the rinse dispenser.

Thank you, I'll definetly give it a try.

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)

Try putting vinegar in the rinse agent recepticle.

I add plain vinegar to the rise container in my dishwasher. I have bought the pricey "rinse aids" and I think the vinegar does a much better job. I don't notice any vinegar smell on my dishes either.

By Susan from Giddings, TX

Answers:

Vinegar for Dishwasher Rinse Agent

Depending on the kind of water that you have, vinegar can work. I used to use it when I had hard water. Now that I have soft water, I don't find that it does anything at all extra. Your results will depend on the type of water that you have. (08/01/2008)

By Louise B.

Vinegar for Dishwasher Rinse Agent

I've been using it too and have had some success with spots, but more importantly, it keeps my dishwasher fresh and not stinky in between loads -- especially in hot humid weather. Also, consider the toxic chemicals you are putting on your dishes (and then ingesting!) and the fumes you are putting in to your home and the toxins into the environment. Just to prevent spots? Seriously, if it bothers you, open the door before the dishes are dry (but after the clean cycle) and wipe glasses and cutlery with a dish towel.

It is a great way to remove coffee and tea scum that dishwashers aren't the best at removing.

People need to remember that the stuff we use goes somewhere -- it doesn't just magically disappear. It becomes a problem, and it only gets bigger if we ignore it.

If you want a website that you can use to check out the ingredients in your household products, visit: www.householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/

I was shocked at what companies are allowed to sell and how they can claim a product is "safe" because the toxicity level of that one ingredient is low. What about the cumulative effect over time?

Our poor livers have to filter all those chemicals we are ingesting and inhaling -- yes, that fresh scent is not good for our bodies. Use common sense people: if you have to keep away from kids and pets or avoid inhaling, then it's not "safe." Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now! (08/01/2008)

By Oberhund.

Vinegar for Dishwasher Rinse Agent

Thanks for the tip. I always forget just how versatile that old jug of vinegar can be. (08/03/2008)

By Trish Sablic

Instead of buying those expensive rinse agents for dishwasher which cost about $3.00 to $4.00 a bottle, try using white vinegar it works great and is so much cheaper.

By Carol from Massachusetts

Answers:

Vinegar for Dishwasher Rinse Agent

I'll have to say . . . I have had zero success using vinegar in my rinse. My dishes were just as spotty as if I'd used nothing. (08/22/2007)

By Katie

Vinegar for Dishwasher Rinse Agent

Can using vinegar in the dishwasher harm the appliance in any way? I am all for using homemade cleaners but am leery to try something that may damage an appliance especially the dishwasher! (08/22/2007)

By tracey

Vinegar for Dishwasher Rinse Agent

I have been using vinegar for quite a few months now in my dishwasher with great success. I use it as a fabric softener in the laundry as well.

Trish in CT (08/27/2007)

By Trish

Vinegar for Dishwasher Rinse Agent

I have been using vinegar as a dishwasher rinse for quite a few months now, with great success. I also use it as a fabric softener in the wash, and for a million other uses around the house :-)

Trish in CT (08/27/2007)

By Trish Mastriano

You can use plain old white vinegar in your dishwasher as a rinse agent, it works well and costs only pennies. As an added benefit it helps fight build-up in the dishwasher itself.

By Suzanne

Answers:

Vinegar Instead of Rinse Agents

Don't buy expensive rinse agents for the dishwasher! Use white vinegar (or apple cider vinegar if you're out of the other) in the rinse cylinder/ compartment of the dishwasher. It especially helps get rid of hard water deposits in areas with well water! (11/15/2004)

By Carlabw

Vinegar as a Dishwashing Rinse

I use about a fourth of a cup with each rinse cycle. I have been using it for years. Commercial rinse agents leave my dishes cloudy and allowed so much buildup the jets clogged. I open the door and add it with the rinse water. The result... sparkling clean dishes every time! (03/12/2005)

By Melanie