AdviceBudget & Finance

Keeping Track of Bill Due Dates

Prepare any bills/correspondences ahead of time that will have to be mailed in the future. Do not stamp any of the envelopes. Instead, write in small letters the date that the letters have to be mailed in the area where the stamp is placed. When the day comes for the letter to be mailed; place the stamp over the written date and it's ready to mail out.

Instead of writing checks or preparing other mailings a few times a week/month, do it all at one sitting and date the envelope when it has to be mailed. Keep all the envelopes together in order they are to be mailed. This works great for birthday cards or other greeting cards.

By mkymlp from NE PA, USA

I also do this, but when the bills come in, I write the date it came in and the date due on the envelope. I also keep a 4 column Analysis pad which I use to show when the bill came in, due date, and date paid. This has worked very well for me. Hope it helps.

I think that most people don't write checks or mail their bills out any more. Kind of old fashion. I do everything on the computer now. It keeps track of everything for me and reminds me too. No stamps to buy.

This has proven to be the best method for me over the years. Except, since I am on Social Security Disab., I begin my check writing as soon as my SS check is deposited into the bank. My entire monthly budgets are done for 12 months, each month on a 6x8 index card. I list the bills, dates due, and amounts. Then I begin writing the checks (striking a line through each one as it is paid), stuffing the envelopes, all but stamping them. Since my income is monthly, all bills are mailed at the same time. My timing is planned so that nothing is late and many bills are early. I'm too absent minded to pay them all through the month and since I dislike doing it so much, this works best for me and then I know just where I stand as far as grocery money, etc.