Making Removable Gold Hair Coloring

My daughter has to do a project for her cosmetology class where she has to design a futuristic hairdo. She wants to use food colouring (has to be able to be washed out) to make the school colours. The colours are green and gold.

I know how to go about making green or for that matter I know I can buy green food colouring but I haven't a clue if you can buy gold or if she has to combine other colours to make it. Yellow will not work according to her, it has to be GOLD.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Darlene in Mississauga

Are you sure food colouring will come out? I'd investigate that a bit before you use it. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think it washes out.
Kool-aid washes out if you use it.
There are also many coloured hair sprays available that wash out. I'd try that I think.

Food coloring may not wash out, esp. if used on already processed hair. Kool-Aid or Jello are much better bets. For the gold-how about going with the deepest yellow you can get than adding glitter to the finished hairdo. Glitter will stick to newly-sprayed hairspray and she can spray over and over and keep adding glitter til she likes the look.

I think I would check with my local party supply store. They usually sell costumes and accessories for costumes. You may find the colored spray for hair.

I really think that food coloring would stain the hair and could get messy-food coloring would stain furniture and clothes too. If I was the consumer, I would want something that was care free so i did not have to worry about messes and stains.

Thanks to those who replied to my request for the removable gold hair colouring. My daughter was able to find gold hairspray and used that. She also used a green one. Her project turned out really well.

Darlene in Mississauga

There are washout color dyes available at beauty supply stores? You usualy have to bleach the hair underneath for it to take.

get yellow food coloring and mix it with yellow cool aid
bye,
soldier88

Use clear jell and yellow food coloring mixed with a small bit of makeup foundation and yellowish (or gold) sparkles.. You may have to put a lot of food coloring to hide the foundation color. it works with all colors i did it and temporary died my hair blue and pink. That night i went out, and the people who were sitting next to me asked if i knew were they could get their hair died with blue, so that they could get it washed out. I think it was because of the blue in my hair.