FurnitureCleaning

Very Dusty Old Couch

My mom has this old, dust filled couch in our attic. I am moving into the attic and would like to use it for me and my friends. It is a fold out bed-type couch, which is extremely heavy and has attached pillows. Just sitting on it I can feel the dust living in every inch of the material. I have allergies and even though I know it's going to be a big task, I would rather save money and clean it up than throw it out and get something else.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the horrible dust mites, dust bunnies, giraffes, alligators, etc.?

Jennifer

Vacuum the old couch really well (inside and out) then try some of the spray foam cleaners you can buy in a store and then vacuum again. I would also spray it with fabreeze to freshen it further.

After vacuuming it thoroughly, put it in the strong sun light to help kill odors. Rotate the cushions in the sun, too.

After doing all of the above, i'd recommend you cover the couch w/removable covers. For couches that don't have premade covers, I've used sheets; they work quite well. Now a twin sheet 'protects' the bahama couch cover and its bolster pillows. To keep cat hair off it, a layer of plastic is laid atop all that; for when the cat has learned how to slide underneath the plastic a further scattering of large, heavy books works wonder; the plastic is removed when the couch is used, then replaced. It's tough dealing w/allergens but w/patience we can adapt to accomodate them.

Hi, I have a suede couch partly full of builders dust on the arms, what brand of foam, and where do I get it from does anyone know?

I suffer with allergies to dust and dust mites. To clean the couch I spoke with Broyhill who made my couch. They suggested Resolve to clean it.

1.- Vacuum it thoroughly.
2.- Rent one of those Rug Doctor machine from any supermarket chain, and clean it with it. You just have to buy the furniture detergente and anti-foam. If it's smelly, you can also buy the one for odor, that's up to you; and the good thing is that those machines work with really hot water, what will help you with the mites.

3.- If you don't want to do that, you can buy ANTI-MITE, by Hagerty; It's a spray that destroy mites and their excrement and can be used on mattresses, upholstery and textiles,

Don't remember where I bought it, look for it @ pet stores or Google it; it's above $10.00 for a 16.5oz. bottle, (see imge).

Hope this work for you. I am kind of nuts, and when got some furnitures from a friend, really dusty too, that's what I did. I shampoo them and like new.
Good luck, Maria