"If Nothing Else Works" Cleaning Paste

Making a paste out of whitening toothpaste and baking soda is an easy, wonderful way to tackle some of the things that were hard to clean before I started using it. I get the cheaper whitening paste (or gel).

You use equal amounts of baking soda to tooth paste. If you put it in a container that seals tight you can use it over and over again till finished. This is so much easier than trying to decide how much you need for each project. An empty yogurt container is great for storing it. Scuffs on baseboard, cleaning sneakers or heels of shoes, even hard to remove hard water stains come off easily with this mixture.

Make sure not to use too much pressure that scraps off the paint. It wasn't the paste in my case, but it was my choice of sponges. Now I use microfiber on everything and it works great with this paste.

I think this works on more things than I have tried it on. So far if my regular vinegar-lemon spray doesn't work easily, my paste does. Using it on base board marks to black streaks on tennis shoes sounds broad, but I like cutting my cleaning products down to a few things, including one that even shows off the white smile I have when seeing a clean sparkling job when finished.

Source: I had heard of making cream of tartar paste but was out. This works so well it's now all I use. It doesn't need any special care except storing it so no air dries it up.

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

I wonder if this would work on scuff marks on white sneakers?

It works best on white sneakers. I had a son who couldn't stand any marks on his shoes. Then I tried it on other things like tub, base boards, etc. Let me know how it works for you. It's my magic wonder around here.